Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning White Plastic Lawn Chairs

On Thursday, May 27, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Charlie Case wrote:
Does anybody have a good way to clean white lawn chairs that are made of
PVC-like material? They have become chalky from the sun and have black
speckles all over them.

I tried this on my resin chairs which were badly oxidized. Vinegar didn't do a thing. Neither did baking soda. What worked was a Brillo Pad and Barkeepers Friend with a lot of scrubbing. What was much easier was Clorox Pro Outdoor Bleach. (Sodium hypochlorite and Sodium hydroxide - generic brand $4/gallon). Hose off large dirt first. Wipe it on with a damp sponge. I wore nitrile or vinyl gloves with the cuffs duct-taped to rubber gloves. By the time I had two chairs wiped down with the viscous solution, the first chair was ready to wipe down with a Scotch Brite Pad (kept damp). Hose off. The solution will ruin clothing - wear old work cloths. Bad spots take 2 treatments. The chairs look almost new, except they are still a bit chalky. I rubbed the residue off with a plastic cleaner such as Armor All.