Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Cleaning White Plastic Lawn Chairs

On 7/3/2017 11:46 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 27, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Charlie Case wrote:
Does anybody have a good way to clean white lawn chairs that are made of
PVC-like material? They have become chalky from the sun and have black
speckles all over them.

I tried this on my resin chairs which were badly oxidized. Vinegar didn't do a thing. Neither did baking soda. What worked was a Brillo Pad and Barkeepers Friend with a lot of scrubbing. What was much easier was Clorox Pro Outdoor Bleach. (Sodium hypochlorite and Sodium hydroxide - generic brand $4/gallon). Hose off large dirt first. Wipe it on with a damp sponge. I wore nitrile or vinyl gloves with the cuffs duct-taped to rubber gloves. By the time I had two chairs wiped down with the viscous solution, the first chair was ready to wipe down with a Scotch Brite Pad (kept damp). Hose off. The solution will ruin clothing - wear old work cloths. Bad spots take 2 treatments. The chairs look almost new, except they are still a bit chalky. I rubbed the residue off with a plastic cleaner such as Armor All.

I realize that the OP probably threw out the chairs by now (1999) but I
did find a product made specifically for that purpose in one of the big
box stores (many years ago too) that worked perfectly.