Posted to alt.home.repair

Default intermittant leak at water heater

Kenmore gas water heater installed 1/10/17. No dents or obvious external
damage to the tank. Everything worked fine for 5 months.
Leaked last night. Steady drip, say one half gallon per minute, visible from
the bottom of the tank. The back side of the tank€”not near any fitting.
I shut off the gas, turned off the water supply, ran out a little water to
relieve the pressure€”leak stopped.
Came back this morning, re-pressurized the tank. The leak came back for less
than sixty seconds, then stopped by itself.
Turned the gas back on, relit the burner, everything back as it was. No leak
now for about 5 hours.
What might be the source of an intermittent leak in a brand new tank?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1135777-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 5:14:05 PM UTC-4, Uncle Dan wrote:
Kenmore gas water heater installed 1/10/17. No dents or obvious external
damage to the tank. Everything worked fine for 5 months.
Leaked last night. Steady drip, say one half gallon per minute, visible from
the bottom of the tank. The back side of the tank€”not near any fitting.
I shut off the gas, turned off the water supply, ran out a little water to
relieve the pressure€”leak stopped.
Came back this morning, re-pressurized the tank. The leak came back for less
than sixty seconds, then stopped by itself.
Turned the gas back on, relit the burner, everything back as it was. No leak
now for about 5 hours.
What might be the source of an intermittent leak in a brand new tank?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1135777-.htm

A manufacturing defect? You sure it's not leaking at either of the water connections? How about at the anode, which is a large hex head fitting on the top. At the TPR valve? And half gallon a minute isn't what I'd call a drip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2017 6:26 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

There are roughly 45,000 drops of water in a half gallon and 60 guzinta 45,000 about 750 times so that would be approximately 750 drops per second.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2017 7:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/23/2017 5:14 PM, Uncle Dan wrote:
Kenmore gas water heater installed 1/10/17. No dents or obvious
external
damage to the tank. Everything worked fine for 5 months.
Leaked last night. Steady drip, say one half gallon per minute,
visible from
the bottom of the tank. The back side of the tank€”not near any fitting.
I shut off the gas, turned off the water supply, ran out a little
water to
relieve the pressure€”leak stopped.
Came back this morning, re-pressurized the tank. The leak came back
for less
than sixty seconds, then stopped by itself.
Turned the gas back on, relit the burner, everything back as it was.
No leak
now for about 5 hours.

Intermittent leaks can be caused by intermittent high pressure. Where
exactly is the leak? It could be a defective weld in the tank or is it
the PRV?

I was going to suggest that too. Happened to me. I'd see water in the
morning but trail to relief pipe had dried out. Change of valve solved
problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 4:14:05 PM UTC-5, Uncle Dan wrote:
Kenmore gas water heater installed 1/10/17. No dents or obvious external
damage to the tank. Everything worked fine for 5 months.
Leaked last night. Steady drip, say one half gallon per minute, visible from
the bottom of the tank. The back side of the tank€”not near any fitting.
I shut off the gas, turned off the water supply, ran out a little water to
relieve the pressure€”leak stopped.
Came back this morning, re-pressurized the tank. The leak came back for less
than sixty seconds, then stopped by itself.
Turned the gas back on, relit the burner, everything back as it was. No leak
now for about 5 hours.
What might be the source of an intermittent leak in a brand new tank?
--

If the water heater burner was lit before the tank was filled, it would crack the glass lining inside the tank. If there was a defective weld on the tank, water could seep out. There is also a possibility of rough handling during manufacture or transportation. See if the tank insulation is wet. You may be able access it where the burner is. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Water Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro Bodine posted for all of us...

60 guzinta

I have used this term many times. Now I know how to spell it!

--
Tekkie