Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sprinkler copper pipe corrosion

I have a system of copper pipes for sprinklers. It's elbows that hold
sprinkler heads are deteriorating to where bits fall off and leak all over.
Can't use sprinklers anymore. I wanting to use shark bite to connect pvc at
the ends but the copper pipe is also deteriorated. Is there a way to smooth
out and clean the copper so I can make a clean connection?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1133754-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/04/2017 12:44 PM, Jrange wrote:
I have a system of copper pipes for sprinklers. It's elbows that hold
sprinkler heads are deteriorating to where bits fall off and leak all over.
Can't use sprinklers anymore. I wanting to use shark bite to connect pvc at
the ends but the copper pipe is also deteriorated. Is there a way to smooth
out and clean the copper so I can make a clean connection?

If the copper is that far gone, you're just delaying the inevitable.

You can try, but unless the outside is not pitted the seal won't hold
and I'd guess there'd be a decent chance wouldn't have enough material
left that the mechanical hold would last, either.

You just clean the Cu pipe the same way you do for a sweat fitting; it a
little emery cloth can't shine it up to near new appearance the fitting
won't hold.

And, of course, with the sharkbite fittings you need really, really
square ends and the super-good job of deburring after the cut or you'll
ruin the o-ring in installation.

All in all, I'd sweat a female connector to the copper and thread in a
pvc male and go from there as being the more likely to work...if the
copper were in good shape, sharkbite would be higher probability...

Then again, what's to lose?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Jun 2017 17:44:03 GMT, Jrange
m wrote:

I have a system of copper pipes for sprinklers. It's elbows that hold
sprinkler heads are deteriorating to where bits fall off and leak all over.
Can't use sprinklers anymore. I wanting to use shark bite to connect pvc at
the ends but the copper pipe is also deteriorated. Is there a way to smooth
out and clean the copper so I can make a clean connection?

Don't waste your time and money, the copper is shot. Dig it up and
replace it with good pvc.

Save all the copper so you can turn it in for scrap, the salvage value
is pretty decent. Will probably pay for all of your PVC parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/04/2017 4:02 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Save all the copper so you can turn it in for scrap, the salvage value
is pretty decent. Will probably pay for all of your PVC parts.

After it's been buried and if is as corroded as OP indicates the scrap
value will be minimal at best, too...