Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fix copper-galvanized corrosion?

How do I remedy a copper-galvanized corrosion problem on my water
heater connections? I put the water heater in with a friend's help
about 3 years ago. Now please see photos of corrosion between the
flexible copper connectors and the fixed galvanized pipes (both hot
and cold). Photos are at:

http://homepage.smc.edu/morgan_david/corrosion/

Do they sell some kind of spacer that can be put between the two and
is corrosion-neutral or something? What do I want to buy and install
to stop the corrosion? Thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

wrote in message

How do I remedy a copper-galvanized corrosion problem on my water
heater connections? I put the water heater in with a friend's help
about 3 years ago. Now please see photos of corrosion between the
flexible copper connectors and the fixed galvanized pipes (both hot
and cold). Photos are at:

http://homepage.smc.edu/morgan_david/corrosion/

Do they sell some kind of spacer that can be put between the two and
is corrosion-neutral or something? What do I want to buy and install
to stop the corrosion? Thank you.

You need to look for a "dielectric union", any home store, hardware store
that sell plumbing will have them,
Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Greg O wrote:
wrote in message

How do I remedy a copper-galvanized corrosion problem on my water
heater connections? I put the water heater in with a friend's help
about 3 years ago. Now please see photos of corrosion between the
flexible copper connectors and the fixed galvanized pipes (both hot
and cold). Photos are at:

http://homepage.smc.edu/morgan_david/corrosion/

Do they sell some kind of spacer that can be put between the two and
is corrosion-neutral or something? What do I want to buy and install
to stop the corrosion? Thank you.

You need to look for a "dielectric union", any home store, hardware store
that sell plumbing will have them,
Greg

Dielectric unions are no good for that application because the tank and
the house pipiing are connected together by code required grounds
already, completing the galvanic cell's connection.

You can get some improvement by using insulated nipples which create a
much longer insulated water path between the copper and steel piping, so
the current density causing the corrosion of the steel parts is reduced
by the current having to flow through a higher resistance water path.

The Rheem water heater company has a technical paper stating this.

http://www.rheem.com/includes/resour...ryPDF/1221.pdf

You'd be far better off replacing all that copper stuff with galvanized
right to the tank, then you won't have any significantly dissimilar
metal joints and no galvanic corrosion problems. Plus, you'd get rid of
a pretty raunchy looking piece of "modern art" there. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
hwm54112

Replace the galvanized reducer coupling with a cpvc coupling or
combination of fittings

--
hwm54112
hwm54112's Profile: http://www.HomeOutfit.com/member.php?userid=127

Brazing or welding thick copper? [email protected] Metalworking 30 October 25th 05 04:35 AM
Is burning copper dangerous RobR Home Repair 11 October 19th 05 03:33 PM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
Dielectric alternative coolneo Home Repair 9 October 20th 04 07:27 PM
Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 05:21 PM