Posted to alt.home.repair

Default area around fire pit

A couple of years ago we put in a nice block fire pit. After a rather
wet spring we are thinking about putting something around it to lessen
the mud a little. Being basically lazy I want to just take some stone or
river rock or similar and spread it around with no other base
preparation. Is that like to work or just make things worse?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 17:58:15 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

A couple of years ago we put in a nice block fire pit. After a rather
wet spring we are thinking about putting something around it to lessen
the mud a little. Being basically lazy I want to just take some stone or
river rock or similar and spread it around with no other base
preparation. Is that like to work or just make things worse?

Maybe think about "pea rock". A local landscape nursery ought to have
it. Smaller than river stone and one solution.

Good to see you back, Kurt!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A couple of years ago we put in a nice block fire pit. After a rather
wet spring we are thinking about putting something around it to lessen
the mud a little. Being basically lazy I want to just take some stone or
river rock or similar and spread it around with no other base
preparation. Is that like to work or just make things worse?

How big a fire pit ?

Mine is a large truck rim - front wheel rim -
not just a steel circle - mine has a raised curved
shape, with "air holes" all around - set it
up-side-down - on a few stones or bricks
so air can feed the fire from below.
after a small dig-out of the lawn sod
Just a simple small rough border of flatstone -
then lawn - for the chairs --
- quite simple and easy to maintain -
dig out the ashes once a year.
My neighbour has a 6 foot round brick structure
with circular pave-stones around that - which is fine
for big crowds around a big fire - or burning brush piles -
but less good for the average Saturday night
4 person star-gaze.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A couple of years ago we put in a nice block fire pit. After a rather
wet spring we are thinking about putting something around it to lessen
the mud a little. Being basically lazy I want to just take some stone or
river rock or similar and spread it around with no other base
preparation. Is that like to work or just make things worse?

Maybe think about "pea rock". A local landscape nursery ought to have
it. Smaller than river stone and one solution.

Good to see you back, Kurt!

I had a retina trying to detach itself a couple of weeks ago. After
surgery, the docs didn't like the idea of computer use for awhile. But I
am feeling MUCH better now.