Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor fire pit/ fire box design?

We were over in the US the other year and most camp sites had fire boxes
made from metal (boiler plate?) with a heavy duty grill on top which was
hinged so the box could be used just for fire or it could be used for
cooking.

The grill was heavy duty, presumably, so that pots and skillets could be
rested on it without deforming the bars, or a finer mesh could be rested
on top for BBQing.

We would like to replicate this for the garden, and are looking for
designs and pictures to show to the local forge.

This link
http://www.the-brick-house.com/2010/06/fire-pit-redux/
shows the kind of box although it is much larger than the ones we remember
and doesn't have the lid for cooking.
The addition of metal rods for strength is interesting.

I am Googling away like a mad thing but most US fire pits seem to be
designer gas powered or just huge stone ones.

I think the size would be roughly 50cms/16" a side but might go a bit
larger.
Given the high cost of firewood in this country anything much larger would
be expensive to light up.
In the US we collected driftwood but that is not a reliable source in the
UK.

I must have a picture somewhere amongst the thousands of pictures taken on
the trip, but finding one could take a long while.

Anyone built one of these, or know of a design?

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 11:31:04 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

[...]

http://www.houzz.com/photos/6431596/...s---Moon-Fire-
Ring-contemporary-firepits-

This is getting closer - same general idea but I want a square one and a
grill which covers the whole top.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2014 11:31, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Anyone built one of these, or know of a design?

The ones round here look remarkably like a 45 gal oil barrel cut in half
and hinged with some old pig grating to support things over it.
Steel plate at one end for cooked things to sit.

Whole lot sits in a welded steel frame.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2014 11:48, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
[...]

Are any of these what you are after

http://www.nps.gov/common/uploads/ph...34AB-large.jpg

http://lifeisfare.files.wordpress.co....jpg%3Fw%3D500

http://www.gocolumbiamo.com/Parksand...fong_grill.jpg

http://www.gocolumbiamo.com/Parksand...ford_grill.jpg

--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:14:04 +0000, news wrote:

[...]

http://www.nps.gov/common/uploads/ph...lery/ner/park/

gewa/1E38E992-155D-451F-67CF8807E7CC34AB/1E38E992-155D-451F-67CF8807E7CC34AB-
large.jpg

http://lifeisfare.files.wordpress.co...himi1.jpg%3Fw%

3D500

http://www.gocolumbiamo.com/Parksand...Nifong/images/

nifong_grill.jpg

http://www.gocolumbiamo.com/Parksand...o_Park/images/

burford_grill.jpg

Thanks.

Not quite quite I was looking for - those look more like communal BBQs -
but interesting bits of kit :-)

I was looking for a box sunk into the ground.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Check these out Dave.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Feb 2014 11:31:04 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts" wrote:

We would like to replicate this for the garden, and are looking for
designs and pictures to show to the local forge.

http://www.commercialsitefurnishings...ills-barbecues

http://www.pilotrock.com/park_grills/multilevel-Q.htm

HTH,

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:04:53 +0000, Baz wrote:

[...]

Errr...check what out?

Think you missed off the URLs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We would like to replicate this for the garden, and are looking for
designs and pictures to show to the local forge.

http://www.commercialsitefurnishings...ills-barbecues

http://www.pilotrock.com/park_grills/multilevel-Q.htm

HTH,

Thomas Prufer

Thanks.

http://www.commercialsitefurnishings...rate-fire-ring

is the nearest - circular instead of square but essentially what I was
looking for.

Most of the others seem to be 'park grills' which are raised charcoal
burning BBQs. Nice, but not what I am looking for.

Will search for flip grate fire box.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

Snip
Cheers

Dave R

Check these out Dave.

Baz

Errr...check what out?

Think you missed off the URLs

http://tinyurl.com/p5hg4jm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 10:08:07 +0000, Baz wrote:

Snip
Cheers

Dave R

Check these out Dave.

Baz

Errr...check what out?

Think you missed off the URLs

http://tinyurl.com/p5hg4jm

Been through loads of those which show zillions of pictures.

I lost the will to live without finding a picture of the one I have used
in the US.