Posted to alt.home.repair

Default roof sheathing

I built my shed about 20 years ago and used 3/8" spruce ply roof
sheating on 16 inch centers. The guys at the "Borg" said that's what
everybody uses - it meets code.
Well, meets code doesn't mean squat. The shingles have needed
replacing for a few years now - no leaks, but starting to curl along
the one edge - and I noticed the roof looked a bit wavy.

After stripping the shingles, "a bit wavy" was definitely an
understatement. It looked like a windy day on Lake Superior.

The "Borg" only had spruce ply sheathing and termite spit, so I went
to the local Home Building Center, which had spruce listed, but on the
racks it was DFP - Douglas Fir Ply. NO comparison!!! I bought 5/8
tounge and groove and screwed it dowm. My first attempt was with
"construction screws" from the Borg. Drove in 20, and broke 15.
Took the remaining 330 back, and replaced them with the much cheaper
"deck screws" - same price for 500. I can drive them right down
through the plywood without breaking them.
The person at the return desk gave me $15 discount for the trouble -
Their products might be crap, but at least the service is good - -

Now I just have to get my eave starter strips on and get shingling -
- - .
Lots of help from my future son-in-law, andmy daughter even helped me
get the first sheet up this evening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Jun 2017 22:45:52 -0400, wrote:

[...]

I think great minds think alike - when they have a 3 day clear
spell. I started replacing the roofing on my 8 x 8 garden shed
yesterday.
The ~ 25 year old shingles were starting to deteriorate on the west
side - falling off the east side. 7/16 sheeting was fine under the
good shingles but totally rotten around the edges and a a small spot
where the shingles were the worst. replacing it with 7/16 - I won't
be around to see it replaced and the bottom of the shed will be
needing demolition by then. I did buy eave-starter this time ;
but still need a couple strips of hip-flashing ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Finally finished !
.. with thunderstorms tonight or tomorrow.
I can't believe how old & slow I've become ...
The local Home Hardware custom made the two strips of hip-flashing -
I had no idea they would offer that to a small time customer.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've got just one more row of shingles to install, plus the ridge
vent.

Next time I talk about doing a job like roofing I hope someone reminds
me I'm not 60 any more before my body does!!!!!