Posted to alt.home.repair

Default O.T. Who/what organization invented/coined the word "Software"

Who/what organization invented/coined the word "Software"?
I can't remember the first time I heard the word used at Bell Labs where I worked from 1957 -2001.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:

On 5/18/2017 6:49 PM, wrote:
Who/what organization invented/coined the word "Software"? I can't
remember the first time I heard the word used at Bell Labs where I
worked from 1957 -2001.

John Tukey
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/07/28/us...-software.html

Interesting, Tukey worked at Bell Labs. I worked at Bell Labs -
Bellcore - Telcordia. I saw some of Tukey's work (software) he did for
the research division during the Telcordia era.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 6:49:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Who/what organization invented/coined the word "Software"?
I can't remember the first time I heard the word used at Bell Labs where I worked from 1957 -2001.

Although the answer has been provided, I can't help but wondering:

Why didn't you google "software etymology" ?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

I couoldn't spell etimology
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 9:29:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I couoldn't spell etimology

Fair enough. "Who coined the term software" also works.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2017 6:29 AM, wrote:
I couoldn't spell etimology