Mike

Default Sanding painted metal?

Hello -

I picked up an old painted metal table at a garage sale -- and wanted to
repaint it. Instead of stripping, can I just sand -- so as to remove the
brush marks and prepare the surface for a new coat? What grit would be best
for this? It's an outdoor end table, nothing worth spending a lot of time
on...

Thanks in advance for any help -

Mike

Jerry G.

Treat it like an auto body. Start with something that would be a medium
grit, and work to finer ones. The finer you can go, the smoother the finish,
as long as it will be painted properly. I would then prime it with a few
fine coats of primer, and very fine sand the primer. You can end up with a
very smooth and shiny surface finish like you would want on an automobile.

I would not bother to strip and sand it to the bare metal. This is a big
job, and I would not think it necessary. This of coarse is my personal
opinion...

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Mike" wrote in message
Hello -

I picked up an old painted metal table at a garage sale -- and wanted to
repaint it. Instead of stripping, can I just sand -- so as to remove the
brush marks and prepare the surface for a new coat? What grit would be best
for this? It's an outdoor end table, nothing worth spending a lot of time
on...

Thanks in advance for any help -

Mike

Carol Cohen

Mike wrote in message ...
Hello -

I picked up an old painted metal table at a garage sale -- and wanted to
repaint it. Instead of stripping, can I just sand -- so as to remove the
brush marks and prepare the surface for a new coat? What grit would be best
for this? It's an outdoor end table, nothing worth spending a lot of time
on...

Thanks in advance for any help -

Mike

First scrub the table top clean and let it dry. Then use a medium
grit (perhaps 100-200) sandpaper, backing it up with a small block of
wood the size of your hand -- a short piece of 2x4 is good. This will
make your sanding even and flat to the surface. Sand down all the
brush marks and rust, if any. Spray with an outdoor oil-based
rust-stopping primer. (Do this out of the wind and with lots of tarp
to catch the overspray.) Then spray with your final color. Might need
2 coats. No brush marks. Spraying would take less time than
brush-painting.