Michelle P

Default Best Sheet Metal Books

Hi all,
I have been looking for a good sheet metal book to guide me through
shaping and forming of light steel, Stainless and Aluminum. I have some
basic sheet metal skills (FAA Airframe and Powerplant), however I would
like to learn more.
Any suggestion on good books?
Thanks,
Michelle
--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Richard Ferguson

When I was asking around, the Ron Fournier books, Sheet Metal Handbook
and Metal Fabricators Handbook were recommended. They are not bad.

He is a car guy, but not much difference between sheet metal parts for
cars and sheet metal parts for aircraft. Complex curves on both skins,
etc. I went to a conference on shaping sheet metal, mostly car guys,
but a few aircraft guys there as well. Same tools and techniques used in
both fields.

Richard

Michelle P wrote:

Hi all,
I have been looking for a good sheet metal book to guide me through
shaping and forming of light steel, Stainless and Aluminum. I have some
basic sheet metal skills (FAA Airframe and Powerplant), however I would
like to learn more.
Any suggestion on good books?
Thanks,
Michelle
--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Toolie002

check at Metalshapers.org
The Guy

I have both of the Forunier books and agree that they are good. The
Ultimate Sheet Metal Fabrication bok by Tim Remus is quite good as well.

A good manual to have, if you can find it, is a publication titled The
Key to Metal Bumping by Frank T. Sargent. It was first out in the 1930s
and last revised in the early 1950s. As I recall, this was only about
$7.00 - $8.00, and was a very good introduction to performing
automotive sheet metal repairs. The sections about how to pop out dents
properly and working on / off dolly were quite informative.

Tim

Michelle P wrote:

Hi all,
I have been looking for a good sheet metal book to guide me through
shaping and forming of light steel, Stainless and Aluminum. I have some
basic sheet metal skills (FAA Airframe and Powerplant), however I would
like to learn more.
Any suggestion on good books?
Thanks,
Michelle
--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

--
No BoomBoom for me! -

Gary Brady

check at Metalshapers.org

Also check MetalMeet.com
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

The Guy wrote:

A good manual to have, if you can find it, is a publication titled The
Key to Metal Bumping by Frank T. Sargent. It was first out in the 1930s
and last revised in the early 1950s. As I recall, this was only about
$7.00 - $8.00, and was a very good introduction to performing
automotive sheet metal repairs. The sections about how to pop out dents
properly and working on / off dolly were quite informative.

That book is available from Eastwood:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy01.a...p_Key1=BookVid

Price has gone up to a whopping $10, though! Dang that inflation.

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Sheet metal tool advice sought Spencer Metalworking 4 December 30th 03 03:05 AM
bending sheet metal into a cylinder cdg Metalworking 6 September 10th 03 10:06 AM
cutting sheet metal with circular saw???? Roy Jenson Metalworking 3 August 31st 03 05:11 PM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM