Posted to alt.home.repair

Default O.T. - U.S. Store closings

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html

What do you think about this article ?

Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ?

Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something.

Ordering something large like a washer or lawm mower would not be practical either.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/22/2017 4:47 PM, Andy wrote:

Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ?

Dunno about the article but certainly not out of the question...Sears,
K-Mart, JC Penney along could cover most of that. Several others that
aren't in so much danger of total failure such as Macys are closing
stores by the hundreds...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2017 5:47 PM, Andy wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html

What do you think about this article ?

Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ?

Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something.

Ordering something large like a washer or lawn mower would not be practical either.

Andy

Many of us will wait. I recently bought a 55" TV from Amazon. No
brainer for me.
The particular model was not readily available locally. If it was, it
does not easily fit into my car
Price was about the same, but I get 5% back on my amazon CC so a $60
savings.
It was delivered, stand assembled, set up, packing material carted away.

I bought my Weber Summit grill on line a few years ago and saved about
$300. I did have to assemble, but it was delivered to my deck. A
lawnmower would be the same kind of deal if the price is right it is
practical

Internet shopping opens up a different world. Better selection, often
better prices, convenience. I bought a $30 phone at a local Staples
store a few weeks ago. It cost me $30 for the item, gallon of gas, 45
minutes of my time. Later I looked at amazon and the same item was $20
and brought to my door in 2 days. I should have looked there first as
the 2 days was acceptable to me.

I still use and like some local businesses. Got tires on my car the
other day. Paid $2 more than on line price and got better service.

Shopping is changing. IMO, for the better. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

On 4/22/2017 5:47 PM, Andy wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html

What do you think about this article ?

Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ?

Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something.

Ordering something large like a washer or lawn mower would not be practical either.

Andy

Many of us will wait. I recently bought a 55" TV from Amazon. No
brainer for me.
The particular model was not readily available locally. If it was, it
does not easily fit into my car
Price was about the same, but I get 5% back on my amazon CC so a $60
savings.
It was delivered, stand assembled, set up, packing material carted away.

It seems that most everything can be delivered. Unless it hapens to be
in stock, many local stores do not have it and have to order it.

Went to buy a stove from Lowes. They did not have one in stock and was
told it would be about 30 days before they could get one. Bought it and
somewhat over a month later it was delivered. We did not need it very
quick as the wife just wanted a different king.

I ordrered a 60 inch TV from Best Buy. In about 3 or 4 days two people
came to the house on schedule unpacked it and set it on a stand. Took
the packing with them and offered to take the 40 inch one with them.

Bought a couch and chair locally. They had to order it and took a month
as they said. The charged $ 40 to deliver it, offered to take the old
one with them. I had them set it in my truck so I could give it to
someone.

I order two things off ebay that weighed 65 pounds each. They were
about 20 inches by 10 inches by 30 inches each. They were put on a
pallet and delivered by either Fedex or UPS freight. Asit came in on a
tractor trailer size truck and he hada to make a delivery to a factory
about 1/4 of a mile from the house, the driver called and asked if I
could meet him there as my driveway would be very difficult to get in
and out of. No problem, we took them off the pallet so I could handle
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 5:47:59 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html

What do you think about this article ?

Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ?

Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something.

Ordering something large like a washer or lawm mower would not be practical either.

Andy

Really?

Free Delivery on this 54" zero turn mower:

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-967.../dp/B00O14XESQ

Same for this washer-dryer pair:

https://www.amazon.com/Maytag-Maxima.../dp/B00EXRRXWY

I recently bought a 67 lb miter saw. Free 2-day delivery, free pick-up of the
defective unit, free 2 day delivery of the replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-CM10GD-.../dp/B00G5R4E9A

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2017 6:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/22/2017 5:47 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Lot of stores offering free shipping to compete with Amazon. Bought my
last TV from Best Buy that way. They had consolidated stores and I did
not like location of their new one which did not have model I wanted
anyway. Figured if there was a problem return would have been easier.

Guy at Lowes told me that they have 7 million items in their catalog and
can't stock that many in stores.

Local K-mart positively sucks. They started cutting back years ago and
manager I know quit because they reduced him to 30 hours to save on his
benefits. Look for them and Sears to crash and burn soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 03:47 PM, Andy wrote:
Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something.

I'm not in a major metropolitan area so many things will be a wait
anyway. If it's not a plain vanilla, popular item it won't be in stock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/17 4:47 PM, Andy wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html
What do you think about this article ? Do you think that close to
8600 stores will close ? Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market
share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something. Ordering
something large like a washer or lawm mower would not be practical
either.

Andy

Article here in the Wall Street Journal saying much the same thing:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/brick-and-mortar-stores-are-shuttering-at-a-record-pace-1492818818

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 14:47:53 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html

What do you think about this article ?

Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ?

Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something.

Ordering something large like a washer or lawm mower would not be practical either.

Andy

I ordered a 70HP outboard and they dropped it in my driveway.
I saved over a grand from what I could do locally.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/new%20motor.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html

What do you think about this article ?

Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ?

Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something.

Ordering something large like a washer or lawm mower would not be practical either.

Andy

I ordered a 70HP outboard and they dropped it in my driveway.
I saved over a grand from what I could do locally.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/new%20motor.jpg

And a free frame for a set of steel shelves too! ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 06:50 PM, Elderly Pro wrote:

[snip]

Local K-mart positively sucks. They started cutting back years ago and
manager I know quit because they reduced him to 30 hours to save on his
benefits. Look for them and Sears to crash and burn soon.

When I moved here in 1988, there were 4 nearby K-mart stores. Now there
are none.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions,
a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a
personal God." -- Albert Einstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 2:14:05 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/22/2017 06:50 PM, Elderly Pro wrote:

[snip]

Local K-mart positively sucks. They started cutting back years ago and
manager I know quit because they reduced him to 30 hours to save on his
benefits. Look for them and Sears to crash and burn soon.

When I moved here in 1988, there were 4 nearby K-mart stores. Now there
are none.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions,
a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a
personal God." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for all the responses.

Some gave me some money saving ideas. :-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html

What do you think about this article ?

Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ?

Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something.

Ordering something large like a washer or lawm mower would not be practical either.

Andy

I ordered a 70HP outboard and they dropped it in my driveway.
I saved over a grand from what I could do locally.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/new%20motor.jpg

I've never seen a steel shipping crate before. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Amazed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 12:54:22 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

Thanks for all the responses.

Some gave me some money saving ideas. :-)

Did you get your grill working?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html

What do you think about this article ?

Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ?

Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something.

Ordering something large like a washer or lawm mower would not be practical either.

Andy

I ordered a 70HP outboard and they dropped it in my driveway.
I saved over a grand from what I could do locally.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/new%20motor.jpg

I've never seen a steel shipping crate before. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Amazed Monster

Makes sense. Japan does not have a lot of trees to make pallets and
crates. There are a lot of regulations exporting wood. It has to be
fumigated or heat treated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html

What do you think about this article ?

Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ?

Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something.

Ordering something large like a washer or lawm mower would not be practical either.

Andy

I ordered a 70HP outboard and they dropped it in my driveway.
I saved over a grand from what I could do locally.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/new%20motor.jpg

I've never seen a steel shipping crate before. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Amazed Monster

Makes sense. Japan does not have a lot of trees to make pallets and
crates. There are a lot of regulations exporting wood. It has to be
fumigated or heat treated.

Japan is the number two steel producing country behind China. The list is interesting. China's production of steel is 10 times that of The United States. It wasn't that way when I was a kid. ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/t...the-world.html

http://tinyurl.com/l7yc5ju

[8~{} Uncle Steel Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html

What do you think about this article ?

Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ?

Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something.

Ordering something large like a washer or lawm mower would not be practical either.

Andy

I ordered a 70HP outboard and they dropped it in my driveway.
I saved over a grand from what I could do locally.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/new%20motor.jpg

I've never seen a steel shipping crate before. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Amazed Monster

Makes sense. Japan does not have a lot of trees to make pallets and
crates. There are a lot of regulations exporting wood. It has to be
fumigated or heat treated.

It was actually a pretty cool piece of hardware. I have been welding
stuff up from the angle for a while. There were 8mm socket nuts
embedded in it too and a bunch of bolts.
I still have the motor bracket piece.

New store komar1970 Metalworking 3 February 3rd 11 04:09 AM
new store komar1970 Metalworking 1 February 2nd 11 01:52 AM
DIY store prices michael adams UK diy 4 December 14th 10 02:05 PM
New Store Richard Woodworking 1 November 4th 05 04:29 AM
Woodworkers Warehouse closings...the actual story... Terry Sumner Woodworking 36 January 4th 04 04:58 AM