Posted to alt.home.repair
Elderly Pro Elderly Pro is offline

Default O.T. - U.S. Store closings

On 4/22/2017 6:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/22/2017 5:47 PM, Andy wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html

What do you think about this article ?

Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ?

Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do
not want to wait to buy something.

Ordering something large like a washer or lawn mower would not be
practical either.

Andy

Many of us will wait. I recently bought a 55" TV from Amazon. No
brainer for me.
The particular model was not readily available locally. If it was, it
does not easily fit into my car
Price was about the same, but I get 5% back on my amazon CC so a $60
savings.
It was delivered, stand assembled, set up, packing material carted away.

I bought my Weber Summit grill on line a few years ago and saved about
$300. I did have to assemble, but it was delivered to my deck. A
lawnmower would be the same kind of deal if the price is right it is
practical

Internet shopping opens up a different world. Better selection, often
better prices, convenience. I bought a $30 phone at a local Staples
store a few weeks ago. It cost me $30 for the item, gallon of gas, 45
minutes of my time. Later I looked at amazon and the same item was $20
and brought to my door in 2 days. I should have looked there first as
the 2 days was acceptable to me.

I still use and like some local businesses. Got tires on my car the
other day. Paid $2 more than on line price and got better service.

Shopping is changing. IMO, for the better. .

Lot of stores offering free shipping to compete with Amazon. Bought my
last TV from Best Buy that way. They had consolidated stores and I did
not like location of their new one which did not have model I wanted
anyway. Figured if there was a problem return would have been easier.

Guy at Lowes told me that they have 7 million items in their catalog and
can't stock that many in stores.

Local K-mart positively sucks. They started cutting back years ago and
manager I know quit because they reduced him to 30 hours to save on his
benefits. Look for them and Sears to crash and burn soon.