Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Follow-up, venting dryer through utility stack

Follow-up, venting dryer through utility stack

BTW, the guy who vented his dryer, now in a new location from the way
the apartment was originally designed**, ran the white plastic,
probably-soft-and-flexible-with-a-coil-spring-inside hose maybe 6 feet
from the hole and down. If *I* had done that, I would have run it
maybe 6 inches or maybe 2 feet from the hole, and painted the hose
black so that they neighbors wouldn't notice it. He's always working
on a project, I'm told, and I think he thinks he's the only one who
looks in the utility stack/cabinet.

**These apartments were 2BR, kitchen, little laundry room***, dining
area, and large living room. At first. Then later, two more BRs were
added to every apartmeent I think, all 3 floors of 3 matching
buildings, and it only cost her about $5000^^. Later still, 2 more
BRs were added, which puts the BR I'm staying in as separate by two
other BRs more or less used for storage now (although she's used them
for grandkids and maybe kids), so she doesn't hear me and I don't hear
her. She didn't say how much the second pair of rooms cost her.
But in return, someone who owned something built two more floors on
top**** of the building which were sold for a million or so each.

And the residents put up with this construction and lived here at the
same time. There's a building a block down the street which is also
being made taller, all that shows is bare concrete, rough from the
forms, and scaffolding, and tarps, and she thinks the people are still
living there. I'm going to go down and check some time.

****as oppposed to underneath the building or between floors 2 and 3.

^^Somewhere along the line there seems to have been a deal, that the
current owners would get either the first two or the second two added
rooms, plus a balcony and an elevator next to the balcony (at the
other end of the living room from the existing stairwell) Since she
lives on the first (really the second) floor, it's easier to use the
stairs unless one has something big or heavy.

***My landlady has a large fridge/freezer on the left and a dryer
stacked on a washer on the right.

So that's why the guy moved his laundry room, to make the current one
a better pantry/kitchen add-on. She too plans to move the laundry
room to the BR next to mine, but that has an outside wall, and the
outside wall even has a capped hole in the wall for the dryer vent.
Why the other guy didnt' use that, i don't know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2017 7:00 AM, Micky wrote:
[...]

Appliance repairman told wife that the white plastic coated drier vent
was not code and if we had a fire, insurance might not pay. I replaced
it with an all metal coil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Utility stack?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 08:36:47 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

Another sign that for all his projects, he doesn't know what he's
doing. I'm not positive which appartment is his but today I found a
thin rope from the balcony above down to the ground. Either a very
very small child is making an escape or .....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2017 8:36 AM, Frank wrote:

Appliance repairman told wife that the white plastic coated drier vent
was not code and if we had a fire, insurance might not pay. I replaced
it with an all metal coil.

It used to be acceptable for many years so it could have been
grandfathered in. It was changed at least a dozen years ago though,
maybe more. Insurance company also covers stupidity so yes, they would
pay and then probably drop you.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/federal...cts-66503.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Don't know why people insist on using flexible vent at all.Regular
metal ducting causes less resistance to air flow, and with taped
joints holds a lot less lint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 12:55:44 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Tue 18 Apr 2017 04:00:43a, Micky told us...

[...]

Sorry to say this, but I have seldom read such inane convoluted
posts. The same could be said for your post on gasoline.

I wonder how many posters fall asleep reading them?

hmm...uhhh...snort...what? Oh man, you woke me up.