Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Follow-up, venting dryer through utility stack

Follow-up, venting dryer through utility stack

BTW, the guy who vented his dryer, now in a new location from the way
the apartment was originally designed**, ran the white plastic,
probably-soft-and-flexible-with-a-coil-spring-inside hose maybe 6 feet
from the hole and down. If *I* had done that, I would have run it
maybe 6 inches or maybe 2 feet from the hole, and painted the hose
black so that they neighbors wouldn't notice it. He's always working
on a project, I'm told, and I think he thinks he's the only one who
looks in the utility stack/cabinet.

**These apartments were 2BR, kitchen, little laundry room***, dining
area, and large living room. At first. Then later, two more BRs were
added to every apartmeent I think, all 3 floors of 3 matching
buildings, and it only cost her about $5000^^. Later still, 2 more
BRs were added, which puts the BR I'm staying in as separate by two
other BRs more or less used for storage now (although she's used them
for grandkids and maybe kids), so she doesn't hear me and I don't hear
her. She didn't say how much the second pair of rooms cost her.
But in return, someone who owned something built two more floors on
top**** of the building which were sold for a million or so each.

And the residents put up with this construction and lived here at the
same time. There's a building a block down the street which is also
being made taller, all that shows is bare concrete, rough from the
forms, and scaffolding, and tarps, and she thinks the people are still
living there. I'm going to go down and check some time.

****as oppposed to underneath the building or between floors 2 and 3.

^^Somewhere along the line there seems to have been a deal, that the
current owners would get either the first two or the second two added
rooms, plus a balcony and an elevator next to the balcony (at the
other end of the living room from the existing stairwell) Since she
lives on the first (really the second) floor, it's easier to use the
stairs unless one has something big or heavy.

***My landlady has a large fridge/freezer on the left and a dryer
stacked on a washer on the right.

So that's why the guy moved his laundry room, to make the current one
a better pantry/kitchen add-on. She too plans to move the laundry
room to the BR next to mine, but that has an outside wall, and the
outside wall even has a capped hole in the wall for the dryer vent.
Why the other guy didnt' use that, i don't know.