Posted to alt.home.repair

Default BBQ propane for fireplace?

On Thursday, January 10, 2002 at 3:10:59 PM UTC-5, Keith Adams wrote:
We're building a house with a direct vent gas fireplace. We live in a
mild climate and use the fireplace only occasionally - maybe six times a
year - just for show, not for heat. Our builder is suggesting we
install a propane unit and fuel it with a 20 lb. BBQ-style cylinder -
the kind you can exchange at the supermarket or hardware store.
Fireplace dealers differ on whether that's a good idea. One said that
he does it all the time for demo units and it works fine. He says each
cylinder lasts about 18 hours in a 20,000 BTU fireplace. But a couple
of other dealers have said the 20 lb. tank is too small and won't
provide adequate pressure to fuel the fireplace. They recommend a
minimum of 100 gallon tank (426 lbs.).

Has anybody tried this?

Thanks.

I have the same issue where I am only using propane for the fireplace in the den. I live in FL so don't use it but 3-4 times in the winter and just for atmosphere. I no longer need the 110 gal tank buried in the yard. I terminated the service. I hooked a standard 20# BBQ tank to the outside incoming gas line. There was a convenient fitting there so it was easy. The line from outside the house where the new BBQ tank is located is about 15-20 feet from the fireplace in the den. It worked perfectly! I don't know how long the tank will last yet but propane is about $4.00/gal + here and the BBQ refills are about $12 at BJ's. Make sure to check the connections on the tank and the fitting for leaks. Use soapy water and a brush. I had a small leak but put plumbers tape on the fitting and it's OK. I was worried about trying this at first but am happy now. Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

expressed precisely :
[...]

Using propane is kinda expensive don't you think? Can you burn wood or
hook up to natural gas?