Posted to alt.home.repair

Default opinions on bifold doors vs. french doors?

Hi,

I'm framing a laundry closet in the basement for side-by-side washer and dryer. The doorway I made is 72" wide. My first thought was to install two 3ft wide bifold doors (one on either side). A neighbor suggested a pair of french doors (each 3ft wide). His thought is that bifolds get a bit wonky over time and a set of french doors (no glass panels) would be sturdier.
I have the swing space in front of this closet for either type, so that's no concern.
Does anyone have a strong pro or con on either type of door based on experience?
Or is this just a subjective decision?

Thanks
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bifolds are a pain in the rear to keep working.

Maybe if you have no kids and are ultra careful they'd be okay. Bang them once with the laundry basket and they're toast.

I'd go with the French. Unless..........do you have room for a pocket? Best of all worlds.

Do you really need a door? In a basement?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/04/2017 12:30 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

[snip]

The other choice would be no doors at all. That would eliminate all hassle when doing the laundry… except that of
doing the laundry itself. That would be my choice.

My laundry closet is similar to the OP's, with bifold doors. I removed
them since they did little but get in the way. I have no need to hide
the fact that I have a washer and dryer.

BTW, for similar reasons, I have no doors on the kitchen cabinets.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Would raise a glass of champagne, but I don't drink... won't thank the
great Mojo since I'm an atheist. But there's always chocolate." [J.
Michael Straczynski]