DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   opinions on bifold doors vs. french doors? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/588430-opinions-bifold-doors-vs-french-doors.html)

[email protected] April 4th 17 06:06 PM

opinions on bifold doors vs. french doors?

Hi,

I'm framing a laundry closet in the basement for side-by-side washer and dryer. The doorway I made is 72" wide. My first thought was to install two 3ft wide bifold doors (one on either side). A neighbor suggested a pair of french doors (each 3ft wide). His thought is that bifolds get a bit wonky over time and a set of french doors (no glass panels) would be sturdier.
I have the swing space in front of this closet for either type, so that's no concern.
Does anyone have a strong pro or con on either type of door based on experience?
Or is this just a subjective decision?

Thanks
Theodore

Gordon Shumway April 4th 17 06:30 PM

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 10:06:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,

I'm framing a laundry closet in the basement for side-by-side washer and dryer. The doorway I made is 72" wide. My first thought was to install two 3ft wide bifold doors (one on either side). A neighbor suggested a pair of french doors (each 3ft wide). His thought is that bifolds get a bit wonky over time and a set of french doors (no glass panels) would be sturdier.
I have the swing space in front of this closet for either type, so that's no concern.
Does anyone have a strong pro or con on either type of door based on experience?
Or is this just a subjective decision?

Thanks
Theodore

If you have French doors you will need them both open when doing laundry and they may be in your way even if they can
be swung the full 180 degrees. That could require opening and closing several times during the laundry process.

If you have two bi-fold doors they will open only 90 degrees when in use requiring you to maneuver around either one,
or both, all the time.

If you have an adjacent wall on one side you might consider a single bi-fold door on that side so it won't be an
obstacle when open.

The other choice would be no doors at all. That would eliminate all hassle when doing the laundry… except that of
doing the laundry itself. That would be my choice.

Ed Pawlowski April 4th 17 06:36 PM

On 4/4/2017 1:06 PM, wrote:
Hi,

I'm framing a laundry closet in the basement for side-by-side washer and dryer. The doorway I made is 72" wide. My first thought was to install two 3ft wide bifold doors (one on either side). A neighbor suggested a pair of french doors (each 3ft wide). His thought is that bifolds get a bit wonky over time and a set of french doors (no glass panels) would be sturdier.
I have the swing space in front of this closet for either type, so that's no concern.
Does anyone have a strong pro or con on either type of door based on experience?
Or is this just a subjective decision?

Thanks
Theodore

Bifolds can get wonky over time. If there is such a thing as premium
grade hardware that would cure it. My only concern with French doors is
the extended portion when open. Will they be in the way when doing
laundry? If they can be hinged to open well past the 90 degrees and out
of the way, then it may be the best option.

Oren[_2_] April 4th 17 07:11 PM

opinions on bifold doors vs. french doors?

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 10:06:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,

I'm framing a laundry closet in the basement for side-by-side washer and dryer. The doorway I made is 72" wide. My first thought was to install two 3ft wide bifold doors (one on either side). A neighbor suggested a pair of french doors (each 3ft wide). His thought is that bifolds get a bit wonky over time and a set of french doors (no glass panels) would be sturdier.
I have the swing space in front of this closet for either type, so that's no concern.
Does anyone have a strong pro or con on either type of door based on experience?
Or is this just a subjective decision?

Thanks
Theodore

It's a coin flip. The French doors would need to open outward. Bi
fold (metal louvered) would be extending out less and give some
ventilation when closed. Two cents :-)

TimR[_2_] April 4th 17 07:57 PM

opinions on bifold doors vs. french doors?

Bifolds are a pain in the rear to keep working.

Maybe if you have no kids and are ultra careful they'd be okay. Bang them once with the laundry basket and they're toast.

I'd go with the French. Unless..........do you have room for a pocket? Best of all worlds.

Do you really need a door? In a basement?

Mark Lloyd[_12_] April 4th 17 08:39 PM

opinions on bifold doors vs. french doors?

On 04/04/2017 12:30 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

[snip]

The other choice would be no doors at all. That would eliminate all hassle when doing the laundry… except that of
doing the laundry itself. That would be my choice.

My laundry closet is similar to the OP's, with bifold doors. I removed
them since they did little but get in the way. I have no need to hide
the fact that I have a washer and dryer.

BTW, for similar reasons, I have no doors on the kitchen cabinets.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Would raise a glass of champagne, but I don't drink... won't thank the
great Mojo since I'm an atheist. But there's always chocolate." [J.
Michael Straczynski]