Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Metal roof over shingles

I have 2 roof on my house now & am thinking about putting a metal roof on
without tearing the old roof off. Would this be dangerous. The roof is pretty
steep, cant walk it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1128316-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 13:24:40 GMT
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Tue 04 Apr 2017 05:14:01a, JT told us...

I have 2 roof on my house now & am thinking about putting a metal
roof on without tearing the old roof off. Would this be dangerous.
The roof is pretty steep, cant walk it.

IF you can't walk it, how to you propose to put a metal roof on top
of it?

Hire illegals, they will get it done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to JT, Bobby wrote:
It may be against code to ut more than two layers of roofing even though it is
metal. May look like crap too if the base is not right. Your house is
probbly a big investment so protect it by doing the job right.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1128316-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 11:44:06 AM UTC-4, Bobby wrote:
replying to JT, Bobby wrote:
It may be against code to ut more than two layers of roofing even though it is
metal. May look like crap too if the base is not right. Your house is
probbly a big investment so protect it by doing the job right.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1128316-.htm

It's against code to do more than two layers here.

Another factor is that 2 layers of shingles means the roof is typically
50+ years old. The only way to accurately assess the condition of the
decking is by removing the shingles. If there is some rotted decking,
he'd be putting a new, expensive metal roof over rotted wood. I'd
run from any roofer that offered to do the job that way. I would not
even do a second layer, let alone three.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 08:49:28 -0700 (PDT)
trader_4 wrote:

It's against code to do more than two layers here.

LOL you are in nanny state NJ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

It's against code to do more than two layers here.

LOL you are in nanny state NJ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 12:14:01 GMT, JT
m wrote:

I have 2 roof on my house

Why? Like refried beans. If you don't like them the first time, why
cook them again?
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I have 2 roof on my house now & am thinking about putting a metal roof on
without tearing the old roof off. Would this be dangerous. The roof is pretty
steep, cant walk it.

Did this to my house 10 years ago. Worked fine. No problems since. And
the electric bill went down as did the insurance bill.

-dan z-

Posted to alt.home.repair

The constraint of no more than 2 layers is based upon asphalt singles and the total load on the roof. Regulations vary by state and town. The added cost to remove the shingles and dispose of them shouldn't be too much in the overall scheme of things. Take the opportunity to examine the decking of the roof and fix any problems now. finding them after the metal installation will incur a much higher cost to repair (possibly more than the cost to remove the shingles now).

Also, with only the metal roof, the load capability of the roof will be higher for things such as snow (if you get snow).

Overall, I would remove any existing roofing prior to installation of the metal roofing material. You will get a better roof.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 5:53:35 AM UTC-7, wrote:
The constraint of no more than 2 layers is based upon asphalt singles and the total load on the roof. Regulations vary by state and town. The added cost to remove the shingles and dispose of them shouldn't be too much in the overall scheme of things. Take the opportunity to examine the decking of the roof and fix any problems now. finding them after the metal installation will incur a much higher cost to repair (possibly more than the cost to remove the shingles now).

Also, with only the metal roof, the load capability of the roof will be higher for things such as snow (if you get snow).

Overall, I would remove any existing roofing prior to installation of the metal roofing material. You will get a better roof.

Dan

With most metal roofs the buildup of snow is no problem. The smooth
surface of the roofs will cause the snow to slide off depending on
the angle of the roof.

New roof shingles: Remove thin plastic strips on back of shingles before nailing down? Joe Home Repair 34 March 10th 17 02:06 AM
roof shingles badgolferman Home Repair 14 January 4th 15 02:23 AM
Metal shingles Guv Bob Home Repair 9 June 26th 14 12:38 AM
Metal roof shingles Tony Hwang Home Repair 6 April 16th 08 02:05 PM
New roof shingles: Remove thin plastic strips on back of shingles before nailing down? Joe Home Ownership 10 November 30th 04 05:04 AM