Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 8-month-old boy killed by family pit bull in Maryland1

On 4/3/2017 7:46 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/3/2017 5:48 AM, dvus wrote:

Did you have a bad experience with a pit bull earlier in life? I was
bitten by a German Shepard when I was a kid and I still get nervous
around them despite the fact that they are a great and loyal family pet
in most cases.

Exactly my experience. I was maybe 8 years old when I got bit by a
German Shepherd. I still avoid them but my grandson's pit bull can
crawl under the covers when I'm sleeping and I don't care.

A girl friend in my neighborhood had a boxer dog, and it was very
friendly and she'd bring it outside and we'd both play with it out on
the playground together. One day the dog got away from her and she
asked me to help catch it, so I went with her to help. When we both had
gotten close to corralling the dog it suddenly turned on me and attacked
me. I fell to the ground laying in the fetal position with my arms
covering my head and it bit me all over my arms then it just stood over
me like it was protecting it's dinner! The mother heard me screaming
and came running and when she tried to grab the dog to leash it it
lunched and attacked her, too. Tore one of her fingers open to the
bone, but, then she got hold of it and leashed it.

Sometimes, dogs just go off, but they think this dog smelled the scent
of another male dog I had pet earlier in the day.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles

On 4/3/2017 5:48 AM, dvus wrote:

Did you have a bad experience with a pit bull earlier in life? I
was bitten by a German Shepard when I was a kid and I still get
nervous around them despite the fact that they are a great and
loyal family pet in most cases.

Exactly my experience. I was maybe 8 years old when I got bit by
a German Shepherd. I still avoid them but my grandson's pit bull
can crawl under the covers when I'm sleeping and I don't care.

A girl friend in my neighborhood had a boxer dog, and it was very
friendly and she'd bring it outside and we'd both play with it out
on the playground together. One day the dog got away from her and
she asked me to help catch it, so I went with her to help. When we
both had gotten close to corralling the dog it suddenly turned on
me and attacked me.

Yep. You tried to fence it in and scared it. You left it nowhere to
go, so it bulldozed you. I'd expect it to do that, actually. I bet
you both made direct eye contact with it too, and, since you were
both kids then, you didn't understand the language of dog. As far as
dog was concerned, you chased him/her, you corralled him/her, AND,
you challenged the dog, without realizing you did. It accepted your
challenge.

I fell to the ground laying in the fetal position with my arms
covering my head and it bit me all over my arms then it just stood
over me like it was protecting it's dinner!

Heh, if the dog actually wanted to harm you, it could have, easily.
With the first bite. It was dominating you. You challenged it,
previously. It accepted your challenge and did what dogs do. In other
words, it treated you like it would have another hostile dog. It was
demanding your submission, and 0wning you, in dog language.

The mother heard me screaming and came running and when
she tried to grab the dog to leash it it lunched and attacked her,
too. Tore one of her fingers open to the bone, but, then she got
hold of it and leashed it.

Oh great, so essentially, the mother owned a dog without knowing much
about them, with two little kids that tried to chase the dog; already
scaring it. Did she just run up on the dog too? If so, well, it
mistook her for a threat too; you and your friend already worked it
up. You cannot blame the dog for this! That's a clear case of stupid
humans. If you don't know anything about the animal, then, don't
bring it home as a cute and cuddly pet.

Sometimes, dogs just go off, but they think this dog smelled the
scent of another male dog I had pet earlier in the day.

Er, dogs rarely 'just go off', there's almost always an actual reason
for whatever behavior they are showing. I seriously doubt the scent
from the other dog ****ed it off, it smelled you long before you got
anywhere near it, the first time.

--
Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are
too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get