Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Tablet computer?

Anyone have an inexpensive tablet computer that they are pleased with?
$150? I'd like one mostly for Google searching and email. Not likely
games, at least complex ones, movies or music.

Suggestions?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2017 9:34 AM, KenK wrote:
Anyone have an inexpensive tablet computer that they are pleased with?
$150? I'd like one mostly for Google searching and email. Not likely
games, at least complex ones, movies or music.

Suggestions?

TIA

My wife has an Amazon Fire that seems adequate.

For about the same money you can get an Acer Aspire 10" or 11" and have
a real keyboard instead of a tablet. Or you can get an Acer Switch that
allows you to take the keyboard off.

80% of my home computing is with the Acer 11" that sits on my belly
while I sit in the recliner. Right now I'm typing this and casting some
YouTube music videos to the TV. Works well for me, but your needs may
be different. I prefer to type on a keyboard rather than a tablet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Mar 2017 13:34:38 GMT
KenK wrote:

Anyone have an inexpensive tablet computer that they are pleased
with? $150? I'd like one mostly for Google searching and email.
Not likely games, at least complex ones, movies or music.

Suggestions?

TIA

Walmart has one for $98.00 works fine and has
a detachable keyboard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Mar 2017 13:34:38 GMT, KenK wrote:

Anyone have an inexpensive tablet computer that they are pleased with?
$150? I'd like one mostly for Google searching and email. Not likely
games, at least complex ones, movies or music.

Suggestions?

TIA

My wife uses her Blackberry Playbook for browsing and email. They are
generally available pretty cheap on E-Bay. EXCELLENY sound and
picture quality and a pretty darn good camera to boot!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 09:59:49 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/25/2017 9:34 AM, KenK wrote:
Anyone have an inexpensive tablet computer that they are pleased with?
$150? I'd like one mostly for Google searching and email. Not likely
games, at least complex ones, movies or music.

Suggestions?

TIA

My wife has an Amazon Fire that seems adequate.

For about the same money you can get an Acer Aspire 10" or 11" and have
a real keyboard instead of a tablet. Or you can get an Acer Switch that
allows you to take the keyboard off.

80% of my home computing is with the Acer 11" that sits on my belly
while I sit in the recliner. Right now I'm typing this and casting some
YouTube music videos to the TV. Works well for me, but your needs may
be different. I prefer to type on a keyboard rather than a tablet.

A bluetooth keyboard solves that problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/25/2017 07:34 AM, KenK wrote:
Anyone have an inexpensive tablet computer that they are pleased with?
$150? I'd like one mostly for Google searching and email. Not likely
games, at least complex ones, movies or music.

The first decision is what size? I have a 7" Kindle Fire currently and
it works for me. I can fit it into a pocket. The 10" and larger tablets
are easier to view or to use with the virtual keyboard but they are more
awkward if you plan to carry the device. I started with an Acer, again
a 7", but it wouldn't upgrade to the newer Android versions. I bought
that after getting a couple of 10" Acers for our developers and
realizing a 10" was too big to carry.

My personal opinion is without some sort of hardware keyboard tablets
are a PITA for email, searching, or any other application where you're
entering significant amounts of text. Even a complex password is painful
as you shift through the virtual keyboard screens for the right characters.

For that price point I'd look at the Fire offerings particularly if you
use Amazon. They are honest and say up front that tablets are for
entertainment, listening to music, reading books, watching movies, and
so forth. One complaint is the apps are curated by Amazon, not Google,
so specific offerings may not be available. You can side load though.

The Lenovo line is also a good value.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 1:35:19 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
[...]

I have a 7" Fire tablet I bought on sale for $39.99. It's the 2015 version and I also purchased the armored case because I'm clumsy and have dropped the darn thing several times. It's a lot more convenient than carrying around a novel or newspaper(remember those). I can put my medical records on it and hand it to a nurse or doctor when they have any questions. Now I hand them a USB thumb drive during my visits. My old 7" Android tablet gronked which is why I bought the Fire tablet and it works better for video than the Android tablet did. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fiery Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

My wife and i have several. Im typing this on a samsung tab e. It is connected to my other wireless devices, phone, watch... it is through att so i do pay a 15 buck monthly fee but the tab was free. I like being able to say "hello" whem my phone rings in the other room. Netflix, games, groups like this one, searching for a car and shopping is done on this one.
I have a nextbook that is collecting dust but does the job.
Wife is watching tv now on her rca cambio with detachable keyboard and wireless mouse. It is bigger than both my nextbook and this tab e. There is no phone service on it.
She also has a nook. No pphone.

One thing to look at is the power cord to recharge. Her nook has a dedicated cord. She cannot borrow my stuff to charge it and it is not cheap.
Whever i am at someone has a charger, not her. Keep that in mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/25/2017 01:29 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
My old 7" Android tablet gronked which is why I bought the Fire tablet and it works better for video than the Android tablet did.

The Fire is an Android tablet when you get down to it. The 7" HD version
does have an excellent screen for the money though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 6:34:42 AM UTC-7, KenK wrote:
Anyone have an inexpensive tablet computer that they are pleased with?
$150? I'd like one mostly for Google searching and email. Not likely
games, at least complex ones, movies or music.

Suggestions?

TIA

I am getting a Samsung Tab A for 135 bucks from Costco. I got one for my 70-year-old uncle some months ago, and he is very pleased with it. It was off $55 from the regular price. It is still available but is only discounted by $30, and they are also asking for shipping and handling. If you get it at the store, you don't pay this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 3:15:32 PM UTC-7, Deguza wrote:
On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 6:34:42 AM UTC-7, KenK wrote:
Anyone have an inexpensive tablet computer that they are pleased with?
$150? I'd like one mostly for Google searching and email. Not likely
games, at least complex ones, movies or music.

Suggestions?

TIA

I am getting a Samsung Tab A for 135 bucks from Costco. I got one for my 70-year-old uncle some months ago, and he is very pleased with it. It was off $55 from the regular price. It is still available but is only discounted by $30, and they are also asking for shipping and handling. If you get it at the store, you don't pay this.

I forgot to mention that it is an 8" tablet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Deguza writes:

I am getting a Samsung Tab A for 135 bucks from Costco.

I'm typing this on the same tablet that I got for about the same price
on eBay last summer (it was a basically unused return). I'm using a
small bluetooth keyboard with it.

If you're a linux guy who doesn't mind the command line you can install
termux and get the equivalent of a linux box for most purposes.

--
Thomas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 15:17:36 -0700 (PDT), Deguza
wrote:

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 3:15:32 PM UTC-7, Deguza wrote:
On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 6:34:42 AM UTC-7, KenK wrote:
Anyone have an inexpensive tablet computer that they are pleased with?
$150? I'd like one mostly for Google searching and email. Not likely
games, at least complex ones, movies or music.

Suggestions?

TIA

I am getting a Samsung Tab A for 135 bucks from Costco. I got one for my 70-year-old uncle some months ago, and he is very pleased with it. It was off $55 from the regular price. It is still available but is only discounted by $30, and they are also asking for shipping and handling. If you get it at the store, you don't pay this.

I forgot to mention that it is an 8" tablet.

I paid $95 Canadian for an 10 inch Android 5.1 (DigiLand). I'm not a
fan of Android, myself.. It boots slower than the Blackberry Playbook

Posted to alt.home.repair

Acer iconia, good tablet, has a mini HDMI connector,
you can connect it to a modern TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 5:15:29 PM UTC-7, Thomas wrote:
Deguza writes:

I am getting a Samsung Tab A for 135 bucks from Costco.

I'm typing this on the same tablet that I got for about the same price
on eBay last summer (it was a basically unused return). I'm using a
small bluetooth keyboard with it.

If you're a linux guy who doesn't mind the command line you can install
termux and get the equivalent of a linux box for most purposes.

--
Thomas

Thanks for the Termux tip. I am actually a Unix guy, but I don't my Linux. Started Unix on PDP 11s. Good old days!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2017 5:31 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/25/2017 01:29 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
My old 7" Android tablet gronked which is why I bought the Fire
tablet and it works better for video than the Android tablet did.

The Fire is an Android tablet when you get down to it. The 7" HD
version does have an excellent screen for the money though.

Yes, BUT. Amazon uses a modified android operating system in the Fire
and without extensive fiddling, which may create problems, many
side-loaded Android apps will not run or will not run properly even if
they seem to fully install on a Kindle Fire. Other Android apps won't
even load onto a Fire. The google app "store" for third party apps is
inaccessible on a Fire and most google developed apps will neither load
nor run on a Fire. I've had a FireHDX for more than 3 years and
although the display is superb and I've been able to do almost
everything with it that I need, I wouldn't get another Kindle Fire. The
reasons: (1) The choice of available apps on the Amazon ap store is very
limited compared to the google app store, and (2) Amazon offers free
excellent Kindle apps for Android (and for Apple IOS) that enable you to
download and read any Amazon e-book just as well on a pure Android or
Apple device as you do using a Kindle. The bottom line if you are
economizing is knowing exactly how you intend to use the device and then
finding the least expensive device that is compatible with those uses
and avoid over-spending for capabilities you don't need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2017 2:36 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

I have a Lenovo given by wife who paid less than $50. Somewhat of a toy
as you don't want to do serious computing or typing with it. Battery
life is limited to about 3 hours which is kind of brief. Knew Fire was
good but I would not like the Amazon tie being stuck with their stuff.