Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slightly sloping ceilings

Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10 degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with ceilings like that hang pictures etc?
The site doesn't always work well - click shift refresh if the picture doesn't appear.

--
The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10 degree
sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with ceilings
like that hang pictures etc?
The site doesn't always work well - click shift refresh if the picture
doesn't appear.

Use round or oval picture frames?

https://www.amazon.com/Gallery-Solut.../dp/B00GJO80J4

Posted to alt.home.repair

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10 degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with ceilings like that hang pictures etc?
The site doesn't always work well - click shift refresh if the picture doesn't appear.

two of our "rooms" are flattish roof with
slight slope to shed rain or melting snow.
only one has anything hanging on the wall.
we used hooks in the trim at the top of the
wall and monofilament line. i wouldn't know
if it was level or not, the picture is kinda
behind the coat tree.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10 degree
sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with ceilings
like that hang pictures etc?

Why are you hanging pictures on the ceiling? I hang pictures on the
wall, and the ceiling has nothing to do with it.

[snip]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam E wrote:
Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10
degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with
ceilings like that hang pictures etc?

Why are you hanging pictures on the ceiling? I hang pictures on the
wall, and the ceiling has nothing to do with it.

[snip]

Really ? Did you look at the link ?
--
Snag

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 10:03:29 -0400, songbird
wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10 degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with ceilings like that hang pictures etc?
The site doesn't always work well - click shift refresh if the picture doesn't appear.

two of our "rooms" are flattish roof with
slight slope to shed rain or melting snow.
only one has anything hanging on the wall.
we used hooks in the trim at the top of the
wall and monofilament line. i wouldn't know
if it was level or not, the picture is kinda
behind the coat tree.

songbird

The "easy answer" is to shim and strap the ceiling to make it level
with new dry-wall.

Far from the least work - but still the "easy answer"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/2017 4:33 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Sam E wrote:
Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10
degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with
ceilings like that hang pictures etc?

Why are you hanging pictures on the ceiling? I hang pictures on the
wall, and the ceiling has nothing to do with it.

[snip]

Really ? Did you look at the link ?

I looked at the link but still did not understand the comment about
hanging pictures. I hand them about eye level, not at the ceiling.
What did we miss?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam E wrote:
Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10
degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with
ceilings like that hang pictures etc?

Why are you hanging pictures on the ceiling? I hang pictures on the
wall, and the ceiling has nothing to do with it.

[snip]

Really ? Did you look at the link ?

I looked at the link but still did not understand the comment about
hanging pictures. I hand them about eye level, not at the ceiling.
What did we miss?

The sloping ceiling makes the picture look as though it's hung crooked .
--
Snag

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10 degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with ceilings like that hang pictures etc?
The site doesn't always work well - click shift refresh if the picture doesn't appear.

two of our "rooms" are flattish roof with
slight slope to shed rain or melting snow.
only one has anything hanging on the wall.
we used hooks in the trim at the top of the
wall and monofilament line. i wouldn't know
if it was level or not, the picture is kinda
behind the coat tree.

songbird

The "easy answer" is to shim and strap the ceiling to make it level
with new dry-wall.

Far from the least work - but still the "easy answer"

I would have thought that should be done when the house is built. Just because the roof is sloping doesn't mean the ceiling has to be.

--
A young blonde girl goes to the doctor for a physical. The doctor puts his stethoscope up to the girl's chest and says, "Big breaths."
The girl replies, "Yeth and I'm not even thickthteen."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam E wrote:
Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10
degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with
ceilings like that hang pictures etc?

Why are you hanging pictures on the ceiling? I hang pictures on the
wall, and the ceiling has nothing to do with it.

[snip]

Really ? Did you look at the link ?

I looked at the link but still did not understand the comment about
hanging pictures. I hand them about eye level, not at the ceiling.
What did we miss?

Because the picture is close enough to the ceiling so you can tell they are not parallel.

--
During the weekly Lamaze class, the instructor emphasized the importance of exercise, hinting strongly that husbands need to get out and start walking with their wives.
From the back of the room one expectant father inquired, "Would it be okay if she carries a bag of golf clubs while she walks?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 02:47:48 -0000, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sat 18 Mar 2017 07:17:02p, James Wilkinson Sword told us...

Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10
degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people
with ceilings like that hang pictures etc? The site doesn't always
work well - click shift refresh if the picture doesn't appear.

With a spirit level?

Then the picture looks squint as your eye matches the top of it with the ceiling.

--
I think car alarms should be set to explode after two minutes.
That way, we either take out a car thief, or deprive a noise-polluting jerk of his wheels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam E wrote:
Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10
degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with
ceilings like that hang pictures etc?

Why are you hanging pictures on the ceiling? I hang pictures on the
wall, and the ceiling has nothing to do with it.

[snip]

Really ? Did you look at the link ?

I looked at the link but still did not understand the comment about
hanging pictures. I hand them about eye level, not at the ceiling.
What did we miss?

It's a low ceiling? Gotta duck to keep from bumping your head at the
low end??
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam E wrote:
Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10
degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with
ceilings like that hang pictures etc?

Why are you hanging pictures on the ceiling? I hang pictures on the
wall, and the ceiling has nothing to do with it.

[snip]

Really ? Did you look at the link ?

I looked at the link but still did not understand the comment about
hanging pictures. I hand them about eye level, not at the ceiling.
What did we miss?

The sloping ceiling makes the picture look as though it's hung crooked .

Perhaps on two walls, but not the other two. OTOH, I tend to look t the
picture, not the ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam E wrote:
Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10
degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with
ceilings like that hang pictures etc?

Why are you hanging pictures on the ceiling? I hang pictures on the
wall, and the ceiling has nothing to do with it.

[snip]

Really ? Did you look at the link ?

I looked at the link but still did not understand the comment about
hanging pictures. I hand them about eye level, not at the ceiling.
What did we miss?

The sloping ceiling makes the picture look as though it's hung crooked .

Perhaps on two walls, but not the other two. OTOH, I tend to look t the
picture, not the ceiling.

No peripheral vision?

--
Earth is 98% full, please delete anyone you can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 19 Mar 2017 04:40:41p, James Wilkinson Sword told us...

wrote:

On Sat 18 Mar 2017 07:17:02p, James Wilkinson Sword told us...

Anyone got a ceiling like this?
http://tinypic.com/r/vqkv91/9
I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10
degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people
with ceilings like that hang pictures etc? The site doesn't
always work well - click shift refresh if the picture doesn't
appear.

With a spirit level?

Then the picture looks squint as your eye matches the top of it
with the ceiling.

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but as a designer, I have worked with
picture groupings on walls where there was a slant to the ceiling. The
grouping usually draws the viewer's sight, not the ceiling line. In
any event, if you can't actually change the ceiling, then it's best to
create a visual diversion.

Maybe lots of pictures, but that AC unit looked ridiculous.

--
A lawyer is simply a computer on two legs. It cannot think for itself, all it can do is remember vast amounts of information - past cases, billions of strange laws, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

With a spirit level?

Then the picture looks squint as your eye matches the top of it with the
ceiling.

The best solution to that problem would be to not worry about it. If you
can't, how about putting the pictures lower so you don't often notice
both a picture and the ceiling? You gut used to the picture not looking
perfect, and any guest who complains is being rude.

It would be possible to paint the top few inches of the wall a different
color, making the line (between colors) parallel to the floor. Hang all
pictures below that.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the
understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than
reason." -- Immanuel Kant
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 22:15:14 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

With a spirit level?

Then the picture looks squint as your eye matches the top of it with the
ceiling.

The best solution to that problem would be to not worry about it. If you
can't, how about putting the pictures lower so you don't often notice
both a picture and the ceiling? You gut used to the picture not looking
perfect, and any guest who complains is being rude.

I'd notice a non parallel ceiling/picture immediately and it would severely annoy me. I was once at a lunch with some colleagues, and the technician opposite me was staring at the wall behind me and looking irritated. I turned round and adjusted the squint picture, and my other colleagues were shocked, they thought we were telepathic or something.

It would be possible to paint the top few inches of the wall a different
color, making the line (between colors) parallel to the floor. Hang all
pictures below that.

That could work.

--
What do bungee jumping and sex with a prostitute have in common?
1) They both cost about $100.

Flat or slightly sloping roof question David UK diy 26 July 10th 16 09:39 PM
Reparing a sloping lawn Lawn Ranger Home Repair 14 July 9th 13 08:09 AM
Slabs for sloping path Broadback UK diy 4 August 12th 05 04:36 PM
sloping floor TLF Home Repair 5 June 2nd 05 11:12 PM
Sloping Basement Floor BluesDrummer Home Repair 3 April 9th 05 06:43 PM