Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new screen door(s)?

Hi All,

Got a price from a mobile screen door company to
replace my sliding glass window screen doors. (My
screen doors are falling apart, rollers are all
broken, etc..).

They give a life time warranty on a whole new door.
$325 each. Is this a reasonable charge?

And their minimum call is $135, so a roller job can be
pricey.

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 10:40:29 AM UTC-8, T wrote:
Hi All,

Got a price from a mobile screen door company to
replace my sliding glass window screen doors. (My
screen doors are falling apart, rollers are all
broken, etc..).

They give a life time warranty on a whole new door.
$325 each. Is this a reasonable charge?

And their minimum call is $135, so a roller job can be
pricey.

-T

Depending on your area the price seems high. Try and get more bids.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 10:40:23 -0800, T wrote:

Hi All,

Got a price from a mobile screen door company to
replace my sliding glass window screen doors. (My
screen doors are falling apart, rollers are all
broken, etc..).

They give a life time warranty on a whole new door.
$325 each. Is this a reasonable charge?

And their minimum call is $135, so a roller job can be
pricey.

-T

I'd find a local shop (door and window) and take the screen doors in
to them. $650 for two slider screen doors is outrageous. IMO. If you
just need rollers; they can be replaced, ordinarily, if the frame and
screens are in good condition. I replaced rollers on my 8' glass doors
in less than an hour. YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/2017 12:15 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 10:40:23 -0800, T wrote:

Hi All,

Got a price from a mobile screen door company to
replace my sliding glass window screen doors. (My
screen doors are falling apart, rollers are all
broken, etc..).

They give a life time warranty on a whole new door.
$325 each. Is this a reasonable charge?

And their minimum call is $135, so a roller job can be
pricey.

-T

I'd find a local shop (door and window) and take the screen doors in
to them. $650 for two slider screen doors is outrageous. IMO. If you
just need rollers; they can be replaced, ordinarily, if the frame and
screens are in good condition. I replaced rollers on my 8' glass doors
in less than an hour. YMMV

I can't figure out how to change the rollers, or I
would do it myself. I hear there are stainless steel
rollers out there too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 13:36:18 -0800, T wrote:

[...]

Can't see them from hear. Look on the frame side or on the frame
bottom. Could be a screw or two that you remove and pull the roller
out. Reverse to install them.

A good idea is to clean the track they ride on too. Once clean a
little Teflon spray will make 'em glide and slam shut :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2017 4:36 PM, T wrote:

I can't figure out how to change the rollers, or I
would do it myself. I hear there are stainless steel
rollers out there too.

Enlist the help of a neighbor? Local hardware store?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You don't want SS rollers. Then you will be wearing out the track
instead of the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 10:29:46 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a lot of work. I lived in a 1,500 sqf mobile for 13 years and after 8 years I needed to replace the same type of screen door. I contacted the people who built it and they said they have been using the same size screens on all their doors and sent me a replacement set for under $ 150.00 dollars.

Repairing a screen door zxcvbob Home Repair 5 September 16th 14 10:38 AM
Screen door decoration Pat Home Repair 6 October 25th 10 04:59 PM
Screen door help Harry Avant Home Repair 3 July 16th 06 05:42 AM
How to replace a screen in a non-spline screen door Theron Home Ownership 4 May 28th 05 08:59 PM
Screen Door Herman Munster Woodworking 5 February 18th 05 09:57 PM