Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

Default Why 3-prong plugs

Why do laptop power supplies, the ones with black rectangular things in
the middle of the cord, have 3-prong plugs when everything you can touch
is plastic or "rubber"?

And, I believe, when there's nothing more dangerous than a lamp
underneath the plastic and the rubber? Less dangerous because some
light bulbs ger really hot!
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On 3/7/17 4:29 PM, micky wrote:
Why do laptop power supplies, the ones with black rectangular things in
the middle of the cord, have 3-prong plugs when everything you can touch
is plastic or "rubber"?

And, I believe, when there's nothing more dangerous than a lamp
underneath the plastic and the rubber? Less dangerous because some
light bulbs ger really hot!

I have a Toshiba Netbook with a small "black rectangular thing" that
is only 2-prong.

The Mac Mini has a large white thing that is 2 prong.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 16:29:46 -0500, micky
wrote:

Why do laptop power supplies, the ones with black rectangular things in
the middle of the cord, have 3-prong plugs when everything you can touch
is plastic or "rubber"?

And, I believe, when there's nothing more dangerous than a lamp
underneath the plastic and the rubber? Less dangerous because some
light bulbs ger really hot!

If the power supply were to short power could get through the
laptop, and out the USB or headphone, or whatever jacks.?
Anyway, some require grounding by code, others don'r.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why do laptop power supplies, the ones with black rectangular things in
the middle of the cord, have 3-prong plugs when everything you can touch
is plastic or "rubber"?

And, I believe, when there's nothing more dangerous than a lamp
underneath the plastic and the rubber? Less dangerous because some
light bulbs ger really hot!

If the power supply were to short power could get through the
laptop, and out the USB or headphone, or whatever jacks.?
Anyway, some require grounding by code, others don'r.

Many manufacturers put an IEC socket on the laptop power supplies because the power supplies will operate on multiple voltages. It's simple to change the cord that's shipped with the laptop depending on the area of the world it's sold in. It's the same with desktop computers. If the computer is shipped to a part of the world that uses 220vac 50hz, all you do is use a power cord that has the appropriate plug. t(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Power Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Why do laptop power supplies, the ones with black rectangular things in
the middle of the cord, have 3-prong plugs when everything you can touch
is plastic or "rubber"?

And, I believe, when there's nothing more dangerous than a lamp
underneath the plastic and the rubber? Less dangerous because some
light bulbs ger really hot!

The ac can use ground as part of a filter, capacitor to ground. I have seen
ground fed to common on laptop, sometimes causes ground loop problems.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My Lenovo laptop has a 2-prong plug and the converter
is rated for 240 volts. I guess I am in mortal danger -
if "the power supply were to short" ... :-)
John T.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

Default MICKY ASKS: "Why 3-prong plugs?"

On 3/7/2017 1:29 PM, micky wrote:
Why do laptop power supplies, the ones with black rectangular things in
the middle of the cord, have 3-prong plugs when everything you can touch
is plastic or "rubber"?

Micky, I'm gonna field this one out to the expurts in Cyberland.
Take it away, Cyberland dudes...........

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 3/7/2017 1:29 PM, micky wrote:
Why do laptop power supplies, the ones with black rectangular things in
the middle of the cord, have 3-prong plugs when everything you can touch
is plastic or "rubber"?

Micky, I'm gonna field this one out to the expurts in Cyberland.
Take it away, Cyberland dudes...........

A user might plug in an accessory such as a printer, headphone,
flash drive, etc which DOES have exposed metal parts, and the
manufacturer wants to have done everything he can to make it
safe so he won't be sued......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 11:01:06 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

Many computers and some other devices have a switch for 120 or 240 volts
and that universal socket on the device. The suplies are really not
even that particular about the voltages, just get into the ball park
with them. Going 20 or 30 volts either way is fine.

These days the switchers are very wide mouth and can take anything
from 100-250v at any frequency, even DC although they are not labeled
that way. The first thing that happens is the input is converted to DC
immediately anyway. Then it is chopped to something in the 10s of
thousands of hz, fed through a small toroid transformer, regulated,
rectified and comes out at the desired voltage. When went to New
Zealand, all I needed was a plug adapter to run every electronic
device I had (laptop, phone, camera, MP3 player, tablet etc) All of
the chargers were 100-250v.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 5:00:39 PM UTC-5, Retired wrote:
On 3/7/17 4:29 PM, micky wrote:
Why do laptop power supplies, the ones with black rectangular things in
the middle of the cord, have 3-prong plugs when everything you can touch
is plastic or "rubber"?

And, I believe, when there's nothing more dangerous than a lamp
underneath the plastic and the rubber? Less dangerous because some
light bulbs ger really hot!

I have a Toshiba Netbook with a small "black rectangular thing" that
is only 2-prong.

The Mac Mini has a large white thing that is 2 prong.

Same here with a Dell notebook, it has a two prong power supply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 11:01:06 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Anyway, some require grounding by code, others don'r.

Many manufacturers put an IEC socket on the laptop power supplies because the power supplies will operate on multiple voltages. It's simple to change the cord that's shipped with the laptop depending on the area of the world it's sold in. It's the same with desktop computers. If the computer is shipped to a part of the world that uses 220vac 50hz, all you do is use a power cord that has the appropriate plug. t

(?)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Power Monster

They have done that for many years, or in some cases like priners and
modems the power supply is seperte so they can just ship seperate
supplies depending on the country.

Many computers and some other devices have a switch for 120 or 240 volts
and that universal socket on the device. The suplies are really not
even that particular about the voltages, just get into the ball park
with them. Going 20 or 30 volts either way is fine.

Power supplies with 120/240 switches are SO 1990.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/2017 08:16 PM, wrote:

[snip]

Power supplies with 120/240 switches are SO 1990.

WHAT is that supposed to mean? It can't mean that year, since there was
nothing special about 1990.

Also, I have a PC power supply from last year (2016). It has a 120/240
switch.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth; I came not to send
peace, but a sword." [Jesus, Matthew 10:34]

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

micky
Tue, 07 Mar 2017
21:29:46 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Why do laptop power supplies, the ones with black rectangular
things in the middle of the cord, have 3-prong plugs when
everything you can touch is plastic or "rubber"?

Filtering perhaps? Limited surge supression components? Redundant
safety...I've got a few laptops around here that have the 3 prong and a
couple that don't. I prefer the ones that dont, because, sometimes, the
3 prong ones generate unwanted background hum when fed to external
audio amplifiers while plugged into their chargers.

--
Sarcasm, because beating the living **** out of deserving people is
illegal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 01:58:15 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

I prefer the ones that dont, because, sometimes, the
3 prong ones generate unwanted background hum when fed to external
audio amplifiers while plugged into their chargers.

That implies that the ground is connected to the DC common. Not sure
why they would want to do that unless it is just for RF filtering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I prefer the ones that dont, because, sometimes, the
3 prong ones generate unwanted background hum when fed to external
audio amplifiers while plugged into their chargers.

That implies that the ground is connected to the DC common. Not sure
why they would want to do that unless it is just for RF filtering.

I've suspected the issue is a ground loop based on prior experience
with that...I haven't tried to open one of these and take a look
inside, so it's entirely possible it is connected, but, due to some
filtering circuitry in between, I'm unable to do a simple continuity
test on it. By unable, I mean that it doesn't read as completing a
circuit when tested in that manner.

http://www.channld.com/hum.html

This works well to remedy the problem...

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-I...F6E7CCRCVEDNNN

Reading with a meter you will be looking through the filter so YMMV on
what kind of continuity you see but at 60hz there will be some pass
through. I have had that problem with desk tops that feed amps,
particularly if there are other things in that loop like a TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I prefer the ones that dont, because, sometimes, the
3 prong ones generate unwanted background hum when fed to
external audio amplifiers while plugged into their chargers.

That implies that the ground is connected to the DC common. Not
sure why they would want to do that unless it is just for RF
filtering.

I've suspected the issue is a ground loop based on prior
experience with that...I haven't tried to open one of these and
take a look inside, so it's entirely possible it is connected,
but, due to some filtering circuitry in between, I'm unable to do
a simple continuity test on it. By unable, I mean that it doesn't
read as completing a circuit when tested in that manner.

http://www.channld.com/hum.html

This works well to remedy the problem...

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-I...stem/dp/B01939
3MV2/ref=pd_lpo_107_bs_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRI D=H7D9H4F6E7
CCRCVEDNNN

Reading with a meter you will be looking through the filter so
YMMV on what kind of continuity you see but at 60hz there will be
some pass through. I have had that problem with desk tops that
feed amps, particularly if there are other things in that loop
like a TV.

Same here. When I routed a friends computer thru a mixer board into a
stereo system, we had the ground loop hum issue to deal with. Oh the
joys of a semi digital recording studio.