Roy

Default 2 prong vrs 3 prong electirc plug

Ya gotta help me out here. We have a running battle in another forum
concerning devices that are submerged in ponds / aquariums etc
(lights, pumps, heaters and such) Most all of these are non metallic
in nature for the most part and come from the factory with a UL
approved or CSA approval stamp on them for their intended use. Most
all of these items have 2 prong plugs or 2 conductor wire.......

One group says that a 2 prong plug is unsafe no matter what if its
used n water......other group dissagrees as it meets approval and if
used according to directions of manufacturer etc it is perfectly
safe.

GFCI protection is used in both cases........Just what is so
hazzardous with 2 prong or 2 conductors w/GFCI as compared to 3
conductor w/GFCI when the object is not metallic in nature and no
chance of becoming a path to ground by touching it on the outside is
possible.....

I say that if it was not safe UL or CSA CE would not have put their
stap of approval on it........Just looking over the past couple of
days at numerous pond and aquarium pumps, heaters, lights, bubblers
etc ..9 out of 10 had 2 prong plugs........My one large centrifugal
pump came with a 3 conductor wire but its 115/230 VAC and has a metal
framed motor, however my straight 115 VAC centrifugal pump with
composite motor cover and housing came with a 2 conductor wire as did
my submersible pump.............which also has a composite body as
well. My small little giant submersible pump has a metal body and came
with 3 conductor wire, but the newer composite body Little Giant came
with 2 conductor.......so what gives.......

Appreciate any feedback.......
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 03:03:36 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

[...]

Anything with a nonconductive outer case gains nothing from a third
wire ground.
Double insulated power tools have no 3 wire plug.

A GFCI will catch any current leakage and trip.

I say that if it was not safe UL or CSA CE would not have put their
stap of approval on it........Just looking over the past couple of
days at numerous pond and aquarium pumps, heaters, lights, bubblers
etc ..9 out of 10 had 2 prong plugs........My one large centrifugal
pump came with a 3 conductor wire but its 115/230 VAC and has a metal
framed motor, however my straight 115 VAC centrifugal pump with
composite motor cover and housing came with a 2 conductor wire as did
my submersible pump.............which also has a composite body as
well. My small little giant submersible pump has a metal body and came
with 3 conductor wire, but the newer composite body Little Giant came
with 2 conductor.......so what gives.......

Appreciate any feedback.......
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Mr. MOSFET

Put the pump in a isolated plastic bucket full of tap water expose one of
the wires on the two conductor cord and stick it in the current leaking to
the other pole may not be enough to trip the breaker and will not trip the
GFCI since there is not a ground fault but if you put a grounded or bonding
wire it will trip the GFCI. Just be careful and don't stick your hand in or
you might get shocked if your GFCI is lazy.

Ryan
wrote in message
[...]

Ian Stirling

Mr. MOSFET wrote:
Put the pump in a isolated plastic bucket full of tap water expose one of
the wires on the two conductor cord and stick it in the current leaking to
the other pole may not be enough to trip the breaker and will not trip the
GFCI since there is not a ground fault but if you put a grounded or bonding
wire it will trip the GFCI. Just be careful and don't stick your hand in or
you might get shocked if your GFCI is lazy.

snip quoted message incorrectly placed at bottom

And stick both hands in while wearing rubber shoes, and you may well get
dead, as the GFCI won't trip.
Lewis Hartswick

You will find a lot of responses on the internet that are
more knowledgable than the appropiate agencys. :-)
Ha Ha Ha .
...lew...

Everything I recall seeing regarding ponds and aquariums reminds you to
remove power from the equipment before you put your hands in the water.

240 v plug zxcvbob Home Repair 5 November 22nd 04 02:36 PM
Plug advice Corey Woodworking 9 November 1st 04 12:50 AM
Burke Millrite Spindle Bearings Access Plug Dennis van Dam Metalworking 22 August 3rd 04 07:32 AM
Plug Strips Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 13 August 30th 03 07:08 AM