Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to set floodlight Mode Normal/Soft/Flash

I just put in a motion sensor floodlight to replace the one I put in
about 20 years ago, which had gotten to the point where it was on when
there was motion, and off the moment the motion stopped**.

This one was just like the previous one, except two more controls had
been added Dual Brite 3/6/All night, and Mode Normal/Soft/Flash.

I don't think there has been a night-time burglary here in 30 years, but
otoh, nobody tells me anything and when I look at SpotCrime, there
aren't enough details***. but my 90% goal is to prevent someone from
going around back and stealilng my lawnmower or breaking in. (10% might
be to not waste electricity or bulbs.)

WRT Mode Normal/Soft/Flash, which mode would you use to deter prowlers?
Flash or soft or normal. Soft goes on slow and oft gradually to
half-bright, pauses, then continues to off. I assume the purpose is to
delay the bulb's burnilng out. But in my case, that has two opposite
ramifications. It's easy for me to change the bulbs because I put the
fixture a foot below my bedroom window, so I just lean out. OTOH I
doubt I'll know if the bulb does burn out because I don't go in the back
yard often at night. OT3H, I may not know soon after they burn out, but
I know eventually and it takes 3 to 7 years.

Flash Flashes on and off twice before going to full brightness. Is
that supposed to scare the burglar away? Maybe like his picture was
taken. I suppose that will burn the bulb out faster. AND every light
I have had gets turned on frequently by the wind.

WRT Dual Brite Off/3/6/All night, I'm just going to leave it on Off.
In the front, one neighbor wanted everyone to leave their porch light on
several hours or all night, even though we have street lights, but for
my replacement (2nd) front fixture, style won out over that feature.

**Hmm. Maybe that just means something wrong with the test/1/5/10
minute switch, but really no time to work on that now. Later I'll take
it apart and see if that's possible and if the meter shows it's true
happened.

***For example, recently it added more information but a) there's
rarely any crime near to me and b) they give a time, but I'll bet it's
when the crime is reported, or when the cop comes over and takes a
report, not when it actually happened, even I'll bet for a crime where
the person reporting it was present. So there are some burglaries over
the years, but I don't read the emails much, and I can't really know
that any take place when it's dark out.

This isn't the best question but at least it's not hate, politics, or
trolling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

[...]

Most burglaries are done during the day, when no one is home. Home invasions
are done during the night where lights aren't going to help. I
wouldn't/don't use a motion sensor. I use a dusk to dawn led light that cost
about 80 bux. Are you going to monitor the light for activity?

A prowler call is a high priority. Depends on their response time. Call the
PD and ask if they do free surveys of your home. You will get good tips and
ideas and meet someone whom is risking their life for you. Have a cup of
coffee and a good experience.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 18 Feb 2017 16:04:47 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

micky posted for all of us...

[...]

Not while I'm away. Actually I bought a light several years ago that
would beep inside when it was on. A separate receiver plugged into an
outlet. The trouble was when it was windy, the wind was always turning
it on, And it was 25 feet high and hard to adjust. I bougth it at a
surplus type store and it was cheap, and I've never seen another one
like it. It burned out anyhow. ;-(

A prowler call is a high priority. Depends on their response time. Call the
PD and ask if they do free surveys of your home. You will get good tips and
ideas and meet someone whom is risking their life for you. Have a cup of
coffee and a good experience.

I'm not worried when I'm in town for the reasons you mentioned, but I'll
be away for a while.

Thanks for all the suggestsion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 18 Feb 2017 16:04:47 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

micky posted for all of us...

[...]

What's your address? I send a few parolees over to make a survey g

--
Tekkie