Karol McKenzie

Default small fan repair

I have a small oscillating fan that worked fine last year, but goes very
slowly when I turn it on now. Can it be repaired, or should I toss it out?

I'm not an electrical engineer, so be kind in your response, please. ( :-)

Thanks.

Karol

m Ransley

Likely bearings need oil, some cheap ones have bushings

Edwin Pawlowski

"Karol McKenzie" wrote in message
news
I have a small oscillating fan that worked fine last year, but goes very
slowly when I turn it on now. Can it be repaired, or should I toss it

out?

I'm not an electrical engineer, so be kind in your response, please. ( :-)

Chances are the bearing are shot. It would probably cost more to replace
them than to buy a new fan. Meantime, put a couple of drops of oil on the
end of the shaft if you can see it. It may be enough to get you through the
season.
Ed

George E. Cawthon

Sure, but to be economical, you have to do it yourself. It either
needs oil or a thrust washer has deteriorated and left the shaft
sticky (some use crappy fiber washers, good ones use stainless steel
and/or nylon). In either case you need to take it apart and take the
ends off the motor and clean and oil the shaft with a few drops of
turbine oil. It's not hard and will be educational.

Karol McKenzie wrote:

I have a small oscillating fan that worked fine last year, but goes very
slowly when I turn it on now. Can it be repaired, or should I toss it out?

I'm not an electrical engineer, so be kind in your response, please. ( :-)

Thanks.

Karol

George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Karol McKenzie" wrote in message
news
I have a small oscillating fan that worked fine last year, but goes very
slowly when I turn it on now. Can it be repaired, or should I toss it

out?

I'm not an electrical engineer, so be kind in your response, please. ( :-)

Chances are the bearing are shot. It would probably cost more to replace
them than to buy a new fan. Meantime, put a couple of drops of oil on the
end of the shaft if you can see it. It may be enough to get you through the
season.
Ed

Not likely, it would be hard to ruin a small fan bearing in one
season. Slow running indicates a sticky shaft.

Stormin Mormon

You can often oil the shaft where it meets the motor (blade
end, and also the back end). Three in one oil will work for
a couple days, 30 weight non detergent will work for a long
time. WD 40 will work for a couple days.

I like to blast out the berrings with some carbeurator
cleaner spray before oiling. (with the unit unplugged and
outdoors).

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karol McKenzie" wrote in message
news I have a small oscillating fan that worked fine last year,
but goes very
slowly when I turn it on now. Can it be repaired, or should
I toss it out?

I'm not an electrical engineer, so be kind in your response,
please. ( :-)

Thanks.

Karol

JM

quoting:
I have a small oscillating fan that worked fine last year, but goes very
slowly when I turn it on now. Can it be repaired, or should I toss it out?

I'm not an electrical engineer, so be kind in your response, please. ( :-)

Thanks.

Karol

Open the grill, take off the blade. Vacuum/blow away the dust from the fan's
inards and from in the motor. Place some oil in the motor where the two ends
of the shaft contact the motor case, any lubricating oil will do. Sometimes
it happens: the manufacturer didn't hit it with enough oil to last.

I have fixed apparently dead box fans left on the street for the garbage.
Many of them are old, dusty, and stiff. Seems to be a common way to fail.
Just a little wacuuming, and oil and they are good as new. I have tried
several types of oils. As of yet, engine oil holds up the longest.

Many of these fans are marked "permanently lubricated". Is is not true.
There's often enough oil in them to last just five years at best. I've
opened up a few only to find the little pad that stores extra oil... dried
out. Actually, if you can't get a fan to last very long, try opening up it
up and saturating this pad with oil. If you do take apart the motor, some
are so cheap that if the scews are tightened uneavenly, the shaft won't turn.