Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why you shouldn't use cotton swabs to clean your ears

Why you shouldn't use cotton swabs to clean your ears
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/03/health...ng-guidelines/

"Here's why not: Cotton swabs, hair pins, house keys and toothpicks -- the
many smaller-than-our-elbow-objects we love to put in our ears -- can cause
cuts in our ear canals, perforate our eardrums and dislocate our hearing
bones. And any of these things could lead to hearing loss, dizziness,
ringing or other symptoms of ear injury."

Can it really be that bad?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 22:51:31 +0000 (UTC), Lacopo Ferrari
wrote:

Why you shouldn't use cotton swabs to clean your ears
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/03/health...ng-guidelines/

"Here's why not: Cotton swabs, hair pins, house keys and toothpicks -- the
many smaller-than-our-elbow-objects we love to put in our ears -- can cause
cuts in our ear canals, perforate our eardrums and dislocate our hearing
bones. And any of these things could lead to hearing loss, dizziness,
ringing or other symptoms of ear injury."

Can it really be that bad?

That only occurs of you use a cue stick (for billiards) rather than a
cue tip. (cotton swab). If you put that cue stick in your left ear, and
it comes out the right ear, (or vice versa), you *might* have ear
damage! Go ahead, give it a try!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Here's why not: Cotton swabs, hair pins, house keys and toothpicks -- the
many smaller-than-our-elbow-objects we love to put in our ears -- can cause
cuts in our ear canals, perforate our eardrums and dislocate our hearing
bones. And any of these things could lead to hearing loss, dizziness,
ringing or other symptoms of ear injury."

Can it really be that bad?

Shop vac style vacuums are even worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 22:51:31 -0000, Lacopo Ferrari wrote:

Why you shouldn't use cotton swabs to clean your ears
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/03/health...ng-guidelines/

"Here's why not: Cotton swabs, hair pins, house keys and toothpicks -- the
many smaller-than-our-elbow-objects we love to put in our ears -- can cause
cuts in our ear canals, perforate our eardrums and dislocate our hearing
bones. And any of these things could lead to hearing loss, dizziness,
ringing or other symptoms of ear injury."

Can it really be that bad?

No. I use a small screwdriver. Nice for scratching.

--
Pokemon (n), a Rastafarian proctologist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why you shouldn't use cotton swabs to clean your ears
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/03/health...ng-guidelines/

"Here's why not: Cotton swabs, hair pins, house keys and toothpicks -- the
many smaller-than-our-elbow-objects we love to put in our ears -- can cause
cuts in our ear canals, perforate our eardrums and dislocate our hearing
bones. And any of these things could lead to hearing loss, dizziness,
ringing or other symptoms of ear injury."

Can it really be that bad?

That only occurs of you use a cue stick (for billiards) rather than a
cue tip. (cotton swab). If you put that cue stick in your left ear, and
it comes out the right ear, (or vice versa), you *might* have ear
damage! Go ahead, give it a try!!!

I think he has. Apparently there is nothing between his ears
to prevent the cue stick from emerging out the other side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-01-04, Lacopo Ferrari wrote:

Can it really be that bad?

Yep.

I stopped using cotton swabs cuz they would push some! of my earwax
back up my ear canal. Not a lot, but enough that, over time, I
eventually had a an earwax blockage in my ear. Painful to remove.

I figure if I can't remove excess earwax with my finger, it'll fall
out by itself. I do use the "cuticle" blade on my Victorinox Swiss
Army knife, but only rarely and carefully. Easy to scratch the ear.

nb