Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, do not call question

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...-call-registry

This FTC page says:
"The government is not releasing cell phone numbers to telemarketers."

1) So how will a telemarketer know what cell phones he's not allowed to
call?

2) If you wanted CreditKarma's free credit reports (from two of the
three services) what would you do about the field for your mobile
number, that they insist be filled in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2017 1:05 AM, micky wrote:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...-call-registry

This FTC page says:
"The government is not releasing cell phone numbers to telemarketers."

1) So how will a telemarketer know what cell phones he's not allowed to
call?

2) If you wanted CreditKarma's free credit reports (from two of the
three services) what would you do about the field for your mobile
number, that they insist be filled in?

Cell phones have specific area codes or exchanges. Very easy to program
them out.

Try a fake number. Or realize nothing is really free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2017 12:05 AM, micky wrote:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...-call-registry

This FTC page says:
"The government is not releasing cell phone numbers to telemarketers."

1) So how will a telemarketer know what cell phones he's not allowed to
call?

There was an urban legend floating about stating that cellular numbers -
similar to a phone directory - were about to be released. That's what
THIS warning pertains to.

If you read closely and have reasonable comprehension, you will see that
both landline and cellular phones that you enter into the Do Not Call
list will be provided by the FTC to telemarketers so they know not to
call. What will NOT happen is a separate list of landline and cell
numbers. They are commingled in a single list.

2) If you wanted CreditKarma's free credit reports (from two of the
three services) what would you do about the field for your mobile
number, that they insist be filled in?

Don't use them or give them a fake number. Is that too difficult for
you to figure out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 09:14:45 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/2/2017 1:05 AM, micky wrote:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...-call-registry

This FTC page says:
"The government is not releasing cell phone numbers to telemarketers."

1) So how will a telemarketer know what cell phones he's not allowed to
call?

2) If you wanted CreditKarma's free credit reports (from two of the
three services) what would you do about the field for your mobile
number, that they insist be filled in?

Cell phones have specific area codes or exchanges. Very easy to program
them out.

The problem is a lot of cord cutters port their old land line number
over and when a LATA is running tight they will release more landline
numbers over to cell carriers.

Try a fake number. Or realize nothing is really free.

Some of these people want to text you a secret code to register.
I just tell them I don't have a phone, Email me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 2 Jan 2017 09:43:32 -0600, Unquestionably
Confused wrote:

On 1/2/2017 12:05 AM, micky wrote:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...-call-registry

This FTC page says:
"The government is not releasing cell phone numbers to telemarketers."

1) So how will a telemarketer know what cell phones he's not allowed to
call?

There was an urban legend floating about stating that cellular numbers -
similar to a phone directory - were about to be released. That's what
THIS warning pertains to.

Aha!

If you read closely and have reasonable comprehension, you will see that
both landline and cellular phones that you enter into the Do Not Call
list will be provided by the FTC to telemarketers so they know not to
call. What will NOT happen is a separate list of landline and cell
numbers. They are commingled in a single list.

I don't see how mixing them would slow down the spammers.

2) If you wanted CreditKarma's free credit reports (from two of the
three services) what would you do about the field for your mobile
number, that they insist be filled in?

Don't use them or give them a fake number. Is that too difficult for
you to figure out?

Sometimes I can lie with no trouble, but other times it's very hard. I
think this time it was because I saw the ability to circulate my number
as my payment for their service, but I'm convinced now that giving them
the cell-phone number is too much.

I'll pick out a number and check on switchboard.com to make sure no one
is using it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/02/2017 08:14 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

2) If you wanted CreditKarma's free credit reports (from two of the
three services) what would you do about the field for your mobile
number, that they insist be filled in?

Cell phones have specific area codes or exchanges. Very easy to program
them out.

Try a fake number. Or realize nothing is really free.

I wonder about CreditKarma. People don't spend millions of dollars (for
TV advertising) to give something away. It COULDN'T really be free.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Definitions are the guardians of rationality, the first line of defense
against the chaos of mental disintegration." Ayn Rand
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/02/2017 11:13 AM, wrote:

[snip]

Some of these people want to text you a secret code to register.
I just tell them I don't have a phone, Email me.

And give an email address from one of those disappearing email sites
like
http://www.yopmail.com/

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Definitions are the guardians of rationality, the first line of defense
against the chaos of mental disintegration." Ayn Rand
Posted to alt.home.repair

Another reason Do-Not-Call registry is ineffective
is because the majority of unsolicited calls now
come from overseas, where the FTC has little or
no jurisdiction! They can be made to appear to
come from Texas, or Massachusetts, when in
reality they come from Asia or someplace else.

Wha'd'ya call 'em? Scott M UK diy 9 April 11th 13 02:59 AM
What do you call this? What does Harbor Freight call this? mm Home Repair 11 December 1st 10 11:07 PM
Question for the Brits here, what do you call a Belling-Leeconnector? Geoffrey S. Mendelson Electronics Repair 21 July 27th 10 10:36 PM
a question: whaddaya call those small ladders for home libraries? Jim Beaver Home Repair 12 February 12th 07 07:19 PM
Night call out -- then cancell call Stormin Mormon Home Repair 10 July 22nd 06 11:49 AM