Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with switch wiring

So I'm replacing a 2 three way switches because one failed. Worth noting the switches probably 60 years old. I disconnected them and reattached in the same way and only one switch works. I disconnected the switches and using a non contact volatile tester i discovered that there is a hot wire in both boxes when there should only be one between the two. I'm no electrician but I'm pretty good at wiring but this one has me stumped and I could use some help on how to proceed. Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2016 10:03 AM, wrote:
I disconnected them and reattached in the same way and only one switch works.

Obviously you got the wires mixed up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin' Norman" wrote in message

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 15:09:57 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 07:03:18 -0800 (PST), wrote:

So I'm replacing a 2 three way switches because one failed. Worth noting
the switches probably 60 years old. I disconnected them and reattached in
the same way and only one switch works. I disconnected the switches and
using a non contact volatile tester i discovered that there is a hot wire
in both boxes when there should only be one between the two. I'm no
electrician but I'm pretty good at wiring but this one has me stumped and
I could use some help on how to proceed. Thanks

Are both of the switches in the same circuit or are these in different
circuits?

If they are both in the same circuit, take a look at these images.
Odds are you will find a visual that will assist you.

http://bit.ly/2iat9dz

3-way switches drive me crazy. I think that is because, as your website
link shows, there are many different ways that they can be wired. Sometimes
the "feed" or power first goes to a switch, sometimes first to a fixture, or
the fixture can be between the switches or before the switches or after the
switches. I often see and hear people suggest one wiring solution and they
say "that's how 3-way switches are wired". But, they often don't take into
account that from a distance there is no way to know what the wiring pattern
is on any particular location. And, since the wires are in the walls and/or
ceiling etc. there is usually no easy way to figure out what the particular
wiring pattern is.

I once saw an explanation online about how to figure out the actual wiring
pattern once the 3-way switches are apart and the user can't figure out how
to reconnect the wires. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw that.
But, I think the trick (once the 3-way switches are already off) may have
been to: 1)turn the power off; 2) disconnect ALL of the wires from both
switches and any fixtures (lights?) that they control; 3) turn the power
back on; 4) find the "hot" wire out of all of those -- and that is the
"feed" or power to the circuit. Then, reconnect that wire and look for the
next "hot" wire from there, and so on. It's hard to explain.

But, my point is that despite what I have seen others say or write about
3-way switches, there is no one right way to rewire them without knowing how
the circuit is laid out.

--
I found this free and safe WLM QuoteFix program:
WLMail QuoteFix - http://www.dusko-lolic.from.hr/wlmquotefix/