Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with switch wiring

On 12/21/2016 09:03 AM, wrote:
So I'm replacing a 2 three way switches because one failed. Worth noting the switches probably 60 years old. I disconnected them and reattached in the same way and only one switch works. I
disconnected the switches and using a non contact volatile tester i discovered that there is a hot wire in both boxes when there should only be one between the two. I'm no electrician but
I'm pretty good at wiring but this one has me stumped and I could use some help on how to proceed. Thanks

I have one 3-way circuit where there are both hot and neutral connected
to each switch. The light is connected between the common terminals.
People call this unsafe (light may be hot when switched off) but it works.

--
4 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Theology is the effort to explain the unknowable in terms of the not
worth knowing." -- H.L Mencken