Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gfci tripping

My house is two years old. This afternoon my Gfci outlet started tripping
repeatedly .while the oulet is resetting itself repeatedly,I can hold the
reset button and nothing stops it,it just keeps resetting after a minute or
two it will stop and reset correctly. Is there a wiring problem or as the
outlet gone bad prematurely?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...g-1114418-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2016 07:44 PM, 4fordad wrote:
My house is two years old. This afternoon my Gfci outlet started tripping
repeatedly .while the oulet is resetting itself repeatedly,I can hold the
reset button and nothing stops it,it just keeps resetting after a
minute or
two it will stop and reset correctly. Is there a wiring problem or as the
outlet gone bad prematurely?

If there is nothing plugged into it and it's now wet, is it feeding a
second outlet down-line. I'd check that.

Otherwise, yes it's possible that it could be defective
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2016 8:44 PM, 4fordad wrote:
My house is two years old. This afternoon my Gfci outlet started tripping
repeatedly .while the oulet is resetting itself repeatedly,I can hold the
reset button and nothing stops it,it just keeps resetting after a
minute or
two it will stop and reset correctly. Is there a wiring problem or as the
outlet gone bad prematurely?

Could be either. Check the outlets, especially if one could have been
wet and have corrosion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 8:44:04 PM UTC-5, 4fordad wrote:
My house is two years old. This afternoon my Gfci outlet started tripping
repeatedly .while the oulet is resetting itself repeatedly,I can hold the
reset button and nothing stops it,it just keeps resetting after a minute or
two it will stop and reset correctly. Is there a wiring problem or as the
outlet gone bad prematurely?

Pre-warning: Kill the power to the GFCI at the source before performing
the following check.

Assuming there is nothing plugged into the GFCI when it is tripping, check
to see if there are downstream receptacles or fixtures connected to the
load side of the GFCI. If there are, remove them and then re-apply power.
If the GFCI still trips (or if there is nothing on the load side to begin
with) then you most likely have a defective GFCI.

If there was something on the load side and the GFCI works fine once they
are disconnected, work your way down the "stream" until you find the culprit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 01:44:01 +0000, 4fordad
m wrote:

My house is two years old. This afternoon my Gfci outlet started tripping
repeatedly .while the oulet is resetting itself repeatedly,I can hold the
reset button and nothing stops it,it just keeps resetting after a minute or
two it will stop and reset correctly. Is there a wiring problem or as the
outlet gone bad prematurely?

One of my indoor GFCIs also controls a couple of outdoor outlets. They
might be wet if your setup is similar,

-dan z-

Posted to alt.home.repair

My house is two years old. This afternoon my Gfci outlet started tripping
repeatedly .while the oulet is resetting itself repeatedly,I can hold the
reset button and nothing stops it,it just keeps resetting after a minute or
two it will stop and reset correctly. Is there a wiring problem or as the
outlet gone bad prematurely?

I would check for loose connections on the GFCI receptacle. You did not say where this receptacle is located, but it is possible that it can be protecting other receptacles in the house such as the basement, garage, outdoors, etc. A problem with something plugged into any one of them could cause the GFCI to trip.

Yes, it is possible for the GFCI to go bad.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrEectrician.TV
Posted to alt.home.repair

If a GFCI is tripping, it took some LSD. It's probably hallucinating
too. Play some Led Zepplin vinyl records for it, and give it some pot
and a 6 pack of beer. It will be ok in the morning.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 3:53:57 PM UTC-6, wrote:
If a GFCI is tripping, it took some LSD. It's probably hallucinating
too. Play some Led Zepplin vinyl records for it, and give it some pot
and a 6 pack of beer. It will be ok in the morning.....

You forgot the pizza. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Munchies Monster

GFCI tripping Sasha Home Repair 9 November 25th 06 02:36 PM
GFCI Tripping sfaust Home Ownership 8 March 27th 06 11:11 PM
GFCI tripping [email protected] Home Repair 11 February 15th 06 02:56 PM
GFCI still tripping fredinstl Home Repair 6 April 9th 05 06:56 PM
GFCI tripping fredinstl Home Repair 5 April 5th 05 04:07 AM