Eastman

Default Home Inspection

My wife and I are first time home buyers. In the Washington DC area
market, homes are going for THOUSANDS more than asking price, and home
inspections are rare as it's such a sellers market. Is there a good
online (free) resource that can give me a good idea of what generally
to look for that a home inspector would look at? Just hoping for
basic-intermediate knowledge. Thanks.

Joseph Meehan

Eastman wrote:
My wife and I are first time home buyers. In the Washington DC area
market, homes are going for THOUSANDS more than asking price, and home
inspections are rare as it's such a sellers market. Is there a good
online (free) resource that can give me a good idea of what generally
to look for that a home inspector would look at? Just hoping for
basic-intermediate knowledge. Thanks.

So much of a good home inspection is based on experience, I really
suggest you find a home inspector. Yea I know about the housing market
there, but spending that kind of money it will pay for the inspector. If
the seller does not want an inspection, RUN!

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

DaveG

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Eastman wrote:
My wife and I are first time home buyers. In the Washington DC area
market, homes are going for THOUSANDS more than asking price, and home
inspections are rare as it's such a sellers market. Is there a good
online (free) resource that can give me a good idea of what generally
to look for that a home inspector would look at? Just hoping for
basic-intermediate knowledge. Thanks.

So much of a good home inspection is based on experience, I really
suggest you find a home inspector. Yea I know about the housing market
there, but spending that kind of money it will pay for the inspector. If
the seller does not want an inspection, RUN!

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Have you actually tried to purchase a house in a hot sellers market? This

was the case in our area about 5 years ago. People were getting offers on
their houses as they were pounding the "For Sale" signs in the front yard.
Homes were going for thousands over asking price. If you wanted to actually
get a house you had to act fast. Sellers had the luxury of refusing any
contingency offers, and people were waiving inspections left and right. It
was absolutely crazy, but great if you were selling, which at the time we
were. First day our house is on the market, we had 6 offers, and all were
thousands over asking price.
I had the luxury of not accepting any conditions on the sale of the
property. After you loose out on the first half dozen offers, you stop
putting conditions on them, bid way over asking price, and cross your
fingers.
Our buyer did ask if she could have an inspector over, and I agreed, but
this inspection was strictly for the buyers peace of mind. We had
absolutely no obligation to address any issues the inspector may find, and
she could not use the inspection as grounds to cancel the sale. If wasn't
because we had anything to hide, it was because the market was so hot we
could refuse any contingent offers, so we did.
Dave

Art

There is a big rush this month because interest rates are heading up. But
what is the point of getting a low rate if you over pay for a house that you
may only live in for 5 years.

Eastman wrote:
[...]

James Owens

Eastman ) writes:
My wife and I are first time home buyers. In the Washington DC area
market, homes are going for THOUSANDS more than asking price, and home
inspections are rare as it's such a sellers market. Is there a good
online (free) resource that can give me a good idea of what generally
to look for that a home inspector would look at? Just hoping for
basic-intermediate knowledge. Thanks.

The home inspector for our recent purchase has a helpful site. Be sure to
check out the photographs (it's amazing what some homeowners will do.)

http://www.bradfords.com/index.htm

--
"For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."
-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada