Jeff Linder

Default Roughing-In Toilet

We must replace a 70-year-old toilet. In order to choose a toilet we are
told that we need to know the rough-in. What is this? On plumbing supply
web sites, such as kohler.com and americanstandard.com, there is mention of
12-inch rough-in. How do we determine our rough-in? And can we buy a
toilet without knowing that? Thank you. -Jeff Linder )

Speedy Jim

Jeff Linder wrote:

We must replace a 70-year-old toilet. In order to choose a toilet we are
told that we need to know the rough-in. What is this? On plumbing supply
web sites, such as kohler.com and americanstandard.com, there is mention of
12-inch rough-in. How do we determine our rough-in? And can we buy a
toilet without knowing that? Thank you. -Jeff Linder )

Rough-in dimension is the distance from the finished wall surface to
the center line of the waste outlet (pipe).
You can easily determine this by measuring from the wall (not the
baseboard) to the 2 bolts holding the bowl to the floor.
Note: very old bowls may have 4 bolts; disregard the 2 furthest from the
wall.

A 70 year old toilet could be 12" , or 10", or even 14".

10" and 14" RI toilets are still available (add roughly $100).

Once the old bowl is removed a very careful inspection of the
flange in the floor needs to be made. Often a 70 yr old one
is cracked or poorly connected to the closet bend.

Jim
Michael Baugh

And get an American Standard Cadet so you can keep it another 70 years.
Or if you have very special needs, they have one you can flush a couple
dozen golf balls down for about 250 dollars at Home Despot.

Jeff Linder wrote in message
et...
We must replace a 70-year-old toilet. In order to choose a toilet we are
told that we need to know the rough-in. What is this? On plumbing supply
web sites, such as kohler.com and americanstandard.com, there is mention

of
12-inch rough-in. How do we determine our rough-in? And can we buy a
toilet without knowing that? Thank you. -Jeff Linder

)

jim

Jeff Linder wrote:

We must replace a 70-year-old toilet. In order to choose a toilet we are
told that we need to know the rough-in. What is this? On plumbing supply
web sites, such as kohler.com and americanstandard.com, there is mention of
12-inch rough-in. How do we determine our rough-in? And can we buy a
toilet without knowing that? Thank you. -Jeff Linder )

the rough in is the measurement from the back wall of the toilet to the
center of the hole in the floor( probably a 4 inch hole, pipe for drain)
it gonna be where the bolts go down to attache the toilet bowl to the
floor...i dont have it but if you do a search for american standard
toilets and find the american standard web site something like
usamerican standard or so.. look up toilets and then install
instructions.. they are pretty good at illustrating this...

Jeff Linder

Just measured and the distance from the tiled wall (no baseboard here) to
the center of the first bolt is 13 inches. I haven't seen a toilet with a
rough-in like that on any of the web sites. So, do we go for a 12-inch
rough or 14-inch? Thanks. -Jeff

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message ...
Jeff Linder wrote:

[...]

Speedy Jim

Jeff Linder wrote:

Just measured and the distance from the tiled wall (no baseboard here) to
the center of the first bolt is 13 inches. I haven't seen a toilet with a
rough-in like that on any of the web sites. So, do we go for a 12-inch
rough or 14-inch? Thanks. -Jeff

I would get a 12". For the $100 savings, you can have a
fancy/schmancy
filler piece made for behind the tank lid. It's enough to just glue
the filler to the wall.

Jim