gaz

Default Question about Old home repair

I just purchased a 3 Family home that is about 100 years old. The home
needs both inside and outside repair. Such as the Vinyl siding and
windows need replacing. The inside of the house is in decent shape the
only floor that needs to be touched is the 2nd. It will need to be
gutted and redone. My question is. Should I begin my work on the
inside of the house or the outside?

Thanks,
Gaz

ivan

"gaz" wrote in message
om...
I just purchased a 3 Family home that is about 100 years old. The home
needs both inside and outside repair. Such as the Vinyl siding and
windows need replacing. The inside of the house is in decent shape the
only floor that needs to be touched is the 2nd. It will need to be
gutted and redone. My question is. Should I begin my work on the
inside of the house or the outside?

Thanks,
Gaz

Remember that replacing windows will affect both inside and outside of the
house so you need to keep that in mind when choosing which projects to do
first.

Ivan

John Grabowski

I agree with Jeff. Concentrate on the structure itself, then do finish and
cosmetic repairs. Does the foundation need repair? Do any support beams
need replacing? Upgrade your plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems before
finishing walls. Anything that is causing continual degradation, such as a
roof leaking, should be addressed first.

One thing about a house that old is some problems may not surface until
construction begins. Perhaps do some minor demolition and exploratory
surgery to see what is going on behind the walls and ceilings then you can
decide where the priorities are.

As another poster stated, replacing windows will affect the inside as well
as the outside. Do them before installing new siding and finishing interior
walls.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"Jeff Cochran" wrote in message
On 22 Apr 2004 12:48:34 -0700, (gaz) wrote:

I just purchased a 3 Family home that is about 100 years old. The home
needs both inside and outside repair. Such as the Vinyl siding and
windows need replacing. The inside of the house is in decent shape the
only floor that needs to be touched is the 2nd. It will need to be
gutted and redone. My question is. Should I begin my work on the
inside of the house or the outside?

Probably. I mean, those are the only two options, right?

Do the underlying structural and mechanical work first, finish work
last. Inside or outside depedning on weather.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff. Concentrate on the structure itself, then do finish and
cosmetic repairs. Does the foundation need repair? Do any support beams
need replacing? Upgrade your plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems before
finishing walls. Anything that is causing continual degradation, such as a
roof leaking, should be addressed first.

Err... after actual hazards. Loose ( steps, rails, wiring, bricks in chimney)
*Then* problems that threaten the structure (bug and water control)
Then things that are costing you money.. (insulation, draft control)

--Goedjn