Jason Ducham

Default Sewer gas from toilet

Hi! We have a new house and in every bathroom there is a smell of
sewer gas, but only after someone sits on the toilet. Sounds funny, I
know, but it's a very distinct odor. Any idea what would cause this?
If it were a seal, would we smell it all the time? Thanks in advance!
Jeff Wisnia

Jason Ducham wrote:
Hi! We have a new house and in every bathroom there is a smell of
sewer gas, but only after someone sits on the toilet. Sounds funny, I
know, but it's a very distinct odor. Any idea what would cause this?
If it were a seal, would we smell it all the time? Thanks in advance!

Just a thought...

See if the toilets rock a little when you push hard on them or have
someone sit on them an shift their weight around.

If the installers did a lousy job of setting the toilets, they may rock
enough to let the wax seals joining them to the waste pipes open a
little and let some sewer gas out.

The water filled trap which keeps sewer gas from escaping through the
toilet bowl is part of the toilet as you likely know, and if the seal
between the toilet and the waste pipe sneaks open when the toilet rocks
there's nothing to keep gas from escaping there.

Good luck,

Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

to blame it on."

Joe Bobst

Any idea what would cause this?

Adding to Jeff's suggestion, new house or not, there may be a venting problem.
Look in this NG archives on this topic for creative ways to pinpoint athe
problem. HTH

Joe
Walt Conner

Appears to me that if this is truly a new house, it is the builder's
responsibility to fix it. If you mess around before trying to get them to
correct the problem, they may claim that you caused the problem.

Walt Conner