Ian McKechnie

Default Re : Attic too small! Or is it? (Roof Raising/Dormers)

Hi all,

I currently live in a beautiful 1917 home and have been spending an
inordinate amount of time rummaging about our unfinished attic.

It currently has a peak clearance of 78", which leaves it usable, but
a bit too short for common occupancy. The roof has a pitch of 27
degrees.

Decreasing the roof pitch to 20 degrees in the relevant area will
yield a usable space of about 8 feet width-wise, and 40 feet (the run
of the house) lengthwise. Addition of dormers on the appropriate
sides will further increase headroom and open up what might just be a
terrific master bedroom with a view of Vancouver's harbour.

The real question is how much would it likely cost to completely tear
down an old roof and put a new one up with adjusted pitch? The roof
surface area is just about 1250 square feet, and we have high
confidence the existing structure can support modest additional
weight.

I find it surprising that all the places listed in "roof contractor"
don't list approximates for full roof replacements, but only the
surfaces. *shrug*

Replies gratefully appreciated!

I find it surprising that all the places listed in "roof contractor"
don't list approximates for full roof replacements, but only the
surfaces. *shrug*

What you're talking about doing is building a 1-story,
1000 sqft cottage. It just happens that you're building
it on top of your house. It's not a roofing job, it's
carpentry/remodeling. In any case, the price you
get will vary wildly, depending on exactly what you decide to
do, and who you get to do it, and what, if any adjacent bits
of roof/wall there are to cope with, how hard your building
is to get to, whether you want the house to look decent when
you're done, and how much you **** off your contracter.

You aren't going to get meaningful prices by waving your
hands. At the very least, we'd need a picture of your
house from the outside, (front and back), and a picture
of the unfinished attic space, pictures of your neighbor's
houses, if any are visible, and a diagram with measurements
of the rafters, beams (if any) and where the doors are
supposed to go. And a copy of any relevent local
building codes, including height/story restrictions.

--Goedjn

Tom Baker

" wrote in message ...
[...]

An architect's suggestions might help.
TB

An architect's suggestions might help.

Or a remodeller, or a construction contracter.
But why would anyone chose the advice
of a trained, licensed, insured, and/or bonded
professional over anonymous kibbitzing on the internet?
Don't be silly.

--Goedjn