Ian McKechnie

Default Re : Attic too small! Or is it? (Roof Raising/Dormers)

Hi all,

I currently live in a beautiful 1917 home and have been spending an
inordinate amount of time rummaging about our unfinished attic.

It currently has a peak clearance of 78", which leaves it usable, but
a bit too short for common occupancy. The roof has a pitch of 27
degrees.

Decreasing the roof pitch to 20 degrees in the relevant area will
yield a usable space of about 8 feet width-wise, and 40 feet (the run
of the house) lengthwise. Addition of dormers on the appropriate
sides will further increase headroom and open up what might just be a
terrific master bedroom with a view of Vancouver's harbour.

The real question is how much would it likely cost to completely tear
down an old roof and put a new one up with adjusted pitch? The roof
surface area is just about 1250 square feet, and we have high
confidence the existing structure can support modest additional
weight.

I find it surprising that all the places listed in "roof contractor"
don't list approximates for full roof replacements, but only the
surfaces. *shrug*

Replies gratefully appreciated!