Jim

Default What size fuse?

Hi there and thanks for reading this. I have hooked up a 600 watt power
inverter to a 12 volt source. I used 10 feet of #8 Gauge AWG wire. I have
one question. What size of fuseable link should I put at the battery for a
permanent connection. Thank you in advance for any constructive
replies....Jim

zxcvbob

Jim wrote:
Hi there and thanks for reading this. I have hooked up a 600 watt power
inverter to a 12 volt source. I used 10 feet of #8 Gauge AWG wire. I have
one question. What size of fuseable link should I put at the battery for a
permanent connection. Thank you in advance for any constructive
replies....Jim

600W / 14V gives you about 42A. The inverter should have replacable fuses
to protect itself; about 45A? The ampacity of your wire in free air is
about probably 60A. (assuming copper wire dual rated for THHN and THWN.)
Derate the wire a little because it's in a hot engine compartment, and I'd
say about 50A fusable link to protect the wire. Or just match whatever
fuses are in the inverter.

Best regards,
Bob
Mark or Sue

"Jim" jim.morris wrote in message ...
Hi there and thanks for reading this. I have hooked up a 600 watt power
inverter to a 12 volt source. I used 10 feet of #8 Gauge AWG wire. I have
one question. What size of fuseable link should I put at the battery for a
permanent connection. Thank you in advance for any constructive
replies....Jim

First, a question. Are you ever going to be drawing close to 600W through this inverter? If so, the
inverter will probably be drawing around 50 to 60 amps depending on how efficient it is. A 10 foot
length of #8 is rather long for 50A when you're dealing with 10 to 14 volts. Hopefully the 10 feet
was the total spool length used to do both wires, but even then I'd consider using at least #6 or #4
copper.

I don't have a table of fusible link amp sizes handy. You could use a fuse or circuit breaker,
you'll just need a rather heavy duty fuse holder. If using a fuse, I'd probably go with a 70A if on
#6 wire, or a 60A if you stay with the #8 wire. If using a fusible link, hope they are sold by amps.
Otherwise, calculate what you need for 70A to 80A circuits.

--
Mark
Kent, WA

George E. Cawthon

Jim wrote:

Hi there and thanks for reading this. I have hooked up a 600 watt power
inverter to a 12 volt source. I used 10 feet of #8 Gauge AWG wire. I have
one question. What size of fuseable link should I put at the battery for a
permanent connection. Thank you in advance for any constructive
replies....Jim

You might want to rethink some things. 600 watts at 12 volts equals
50 amps, that tough on the battery and requires big wire. So keep the
battery to inverter short. (1 or 2 feet would be good) and make the
long length the 120 volt side.
Don

Jim wrote:

Hi there and thanks for reading this. I have hooked up a 600 watt power
inverter to a 12 volt source. I used 10 feet of #8 Gauge AWG wire. I have
one question. What size of fuseable link should I put at the battery for a
permanent connection. Thank you in advance for any constructive
replies....Jim

I recently installed a 400 watt inverter in my motorhome. The
instructions called for a 50 amp fuse.

Don