zxcvbob

Default What size fuse?

Jim wrote:
Hi there and thanks for reading this. I have hooked up a 600 watt power
inverter to a 12 volt source. I used 10 feet of #8 Gauge AWG wire. I have
one question. What size of fuseable link should I put at the battery for a
permanent connection. Thank you in advance for any constructive
replies....Jim

600W / 14V gives you about 42A. The inverter should have replacable fuses
to protect itself; about 45A? The ampacity of your wire in free air is
about probably 60A. (assuming copper wire dual rated for THHN and THWN.)
Derate the wire a little because it's in a hot engine compartment, and I'd
say about 50A fusable link to protect the wire. Or just match whatever
fuses are in the inverter.

Best regards,
Bob