John Covington

Default Load bearing wall

What's the rule of thumb for installing shelving on a load bearing wall,
inside a house built in the early 1940's? In particular, two 10x48 shelves
will be mounted to three brackets on the wall, around 8 and 20 inches off
the ground.

I'm unsure of the wall's construction (?), and am having great difficulty
finding any studs using a Zircon. Perhaps, I'd have better luck finding the
studs with some powerful earth magnets. The wall appears fairly strong, but
is it enough to hold 2 shelves containing 80 lbs. each? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
john

Joe

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:22:00 GMT, "John Covington"
wrote:

What's the rule of thumb for installing shelving on a load bearing wall,
inside a house built in the early 1940's? In particular, two 10x48 shelves
will be mounted to three brackets on the wall, around 8 and 20 inches off
the ground.

I'm unsure of the wall's construction (?), and am having great difficulty
finding any studs using a Zircon. Perhaps, I'd have better luck finding the
studs with some powerful earth magnets. The wall appears fairly strong, but
is it enough to hold 2 shelves containing 80 lbs. each? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
john

You may get surprised.
My house has had many additions over the years.
The original building had brick walls. Now there is a solid brick
wall running half-way thru the middle of the house. We uncovered a
small portion to take a look.
Joe

John Covington

wrote:

[...]

Right, I believe it to be a solid brick wall. In fact there's a nail in the
wall holding a picture frame, and it's remarkably held in place like glue.
I just wasn't sure how common brick bearing walls were back then. But
again, these houses seemed to be built to last. Anyway, thanks for the
information.

Art

If it is brick load bearing it is double brick hopefully with ties in
between and isn't going anywhere. New constuction is mostly brick veneer
with 1 layer of brick in front of a framed structure.