FE

Default Improving a Condo's View To the Outside

Hi,
I've got a condo that I'm fixing up to sell. Probably at least one reason I
was able to buy it at a good discount was that the views from the inside
looking out are VERY unappealing. Here's a description of the view at the
rear of the unit looking out:

* From my particular condo's lower level sliding glass patio doors at the
back of the unit, you look out and see almost nothing but the exterior walls
(no windows!) of another condo building that is about 30 feet away.
* You have a very similar view from my condo's second level bedroom window
which is directly above this patio door.
* Buildings in this complex are all two-level.

I'm not very imaginative when it comes to this kind of thing, but I also
have a pretty good idea that it's probably not possible to fix the problem
anyway. My re-sale price will reflect this. Still, I can't help hoping
that maybe Gandolf is reading.

Curmudgeon

Ever seen the show "Monster House" on Discovery?
They had a photo of Las Vegas at night printed on a 12' wide piece of
translite plastic that was mounted above the bedroom windows, and would
lower with an electric motor, along with a halogen light to backlight it.
If it worked there, it'd work for you...at least upstairs? Just be sure to
show the condo only at nite.

"FE" wrote in message
[...]

Kitep

* From my particular condo's lower level sliding glass patio doors at the
back of the unit, you look out and see almost nothing but the exterior

walls
(no windows!) of another condo building that is about 30 feet away.
* You have a very similar view from my condo's second level bedroom window
which is directly above this patio door.

Maybe you could get the other condo owners to agree to allow you to paint a
mural on the wall?

HA HA Budys Here

From: "Scout Lady"

"FE" wrote in message
[...]

No windows facing your patio door? Emphasize the "seclusion."

Can you build a little patio with block or lattice walls and put lots of
plants out there? Perhaps a rattan patio set, they are cheap and make a
patio look cozy. Get people to focus on the extended living space potential
outside the glass sliding doors rather than seeing just a boring brick wall.

It's typically forbidden in most condo complexes to change anything outside the
unit, especially landscaping.
Drummer of The Vibe

"Kitep" wrote in message ...
* From my particular condo's lower level sliding glass patio doors at the
back of the unit, you look out and see almost nothing but the exterior

walls
(no windows!) of another condo building that is about 30 feet away.
* You have a very similar view from my condo's second level bedroom window
which is directly above this patio door.

Maybe you could get the other condo owners to agree to allow you to paint a
mural on the wall?

There is no way in hell the condo association would let you modify the
facade of the building. The other building is not "owned" by anyone,
it's owned by everyone. The only thing I think you could get away with
is planting some shrubs to dress it up a little. For sure, this area
is a "common area" and you would likely need permission to do so. If
you are feeling lucky, go ahead and plant them anyway. It's probably
unlikely they would make a stink of it. Maybe you could also get away
with putting a trullus in about 2-3 feet away from the window and
plant roses. A couple low voltage landscape lights to light it up at
night would look great. I've heard of condo associations getting
****ed off if you don't use a doorknob in the approved finish (brass
vs. brushed aluminum). So, good luck. Other than that, keep the blinds
closed, tint the windows, etc.

FE

[snip]

I'm not very imaginative when it comes to this kind of thing, but I

also
have a pretty good idea that it's probably not possible to fix the

problem
anyway. My re-sale price will reflect this. Still, I can't help

hoping
that maybe Gandolf is reading.

No windows facing your patio door? Emphasize the "seclusion."

Thanks to all for the creative ideas! I especially liked the point to
"emphasize the 'seclusion.'"

FYI, after posting my plea for help yesterday, I found this link to an
article at newyorkmetro.com. The subheading reads, "Manhattan's top
architects and designers offer inventive (and inexpensive!) solutions to the
problems that most plague the New York City rental apartment." One of the
six topics addressed is "BAD VIEW." New York is a far cry from my humble
little town, but maybe it will still be useful to condo/townhome owners.
Here's the link:
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/...atures/n_9326/

Thank you again for your help.

Zemedelec

How about that relatively cheap plastic film "stained glass" that you attach to
plain windows from the inside? Comes in Monet-like, "watery", geometric FLR or
Art Deco design, etc etc. Check out the windows section of your nearest big
hardware store.
zemedelec