Doug M.

Default Canadian Entrance Panel Grounding

Hello, One part of the grounding electrode system on my 60 amp panel
runs through a #6 stranded wire to the top of a rod in the ground.
This rod was placed decades ago and I assume it is was driven
perpendicularly, I do not know how long it is. The other wire used to
go to a metal water pipe that came out of the earth. The metal pipes
were removed when we hooked up a pump with plastic tubing. My
question: How do I reconstruct this part of the electrode system?
Can I drive another 1/2" x 6-8 ft copper grounding rod and attach the
#6 cable to it? How far must it be from the other electrode? Can it
be laid flat if it can't be driven perpendicularliy? Since this is
the grounding electrode, is it safe to work on this while the panel is
energized? Thank you all for your help. PS - Is there a way to test
a grounding electrode system, or, do you simply re-tork the
connections periodically and visually inspect for cable damage?
Chris Lewis

According to Doug M. :
Hello, One part of the grounding electrode system on my 60 amp panel
runs through a #6 stranded wire to the top of a rod in the ground.
This rod was placed decades ago and I assume it is was driven
perpendicularly, I do not know how long it is.

They're often not quite vertical, especially if they hit bedrock.

#6 cable to it?

Pretty well.

How far must it be from the other electrode?

Assuming the original installation was inspected, just matching
approximately where the pipe connection used to be should be fine.

Can it
be laid flat if it can't be driven perpendicularliy?

You'd be surprised how easy these things are to drive given a 10lb
sledge or a proper "driver". Driving in at an angle is acceptable.
You want to get it down into undisturbed dirt if possible.

Since this is
the grounding electrode, is it safe to work on this while the panel is
energized?

Yes.

Thank you all for your help. PS - Is there a way to test
a grounding electrode system,

Code doesn't require testing (it's inspector-imposed rule of thumb actually),
and there's no particular "standard" to achieve.

US NEC has something to say, but that doesn't apply.

or, do you simply re-tork the
connections periodically and visually inspect for cable damage?

Torque it properly once, bury and forget it.

Just make sure you have the right bar and clamps. Not just any old rebar.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Doug M.

Thanks for the help. Is there a good reference book on the Canadian
electric code? Where can I buy it? Thanks again.
Chris Lewis

According to Doug M. :
Thanks for the help. Is there a good reference book on the Canadian
electric code? Where can I buy it? Thanks again.

Knight's "provincial Electrical Code Simplified". Available virtually
everywhere that sells electrical equipment (including Canadian Tire,
Home Hardware etc). Should still be less than $15.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est