dgk

Default Bathroom Renovation questions

I have an attached 18 foot wide house about 60 years old. The bathroom
has a stall shower as well as a bathtub. I was thinking of replacing
the old tub with a jaccuzi and making it the shower also. That frees
up the stall shower area to use as a nice sink, cabinet, and cat
litter/feeding area. Right now the cat litter sits in the tub which
sort of makes the tub unusable for its primary purpose. More exactly,
the litter is not directly in the tub. The litter is in a cat litter
container and that is in the tub, but the end result is the same.

My friends contend that people like separate stall showers and it will
be easier to sell the house that way (I'm not planning on selling
anytime soon although a few more winters like this one...) I can't
imagine why anyone would need a separate shower when the tub should
work as well but I figured I'd ask about both the asthetics as well as
plumbing considerations.

On the plus side of the proposed arrangement is that there isn't room
in the stall shower for two folks to fit comfortably but there is in a
tub. I don't often get in that situation but it would be nice if it
works out. The downside is that cleaning is likely tougher,
particularly the jets I would think. Someone told me to use water
based soaps since they won't harm the jets which otherwise will need
changing in a few years. I don't forsee any problem with the
additional plumbing needed for the shower part.

One other consideration is that my plan for the sink/cabinet/cat
litter/food area will feature a fan and filter arrangement to trap the
litter dust which otherwise tends to settle on everything. And keep it
all at the bottom of this cabinet and out of the way and sight.

It is likely that the whole bathroom will be gutted since the current
sink is small and the tiles (pinkish orange - where did they get that
color?) are hideous. I won't do the work; I can do small things around
the house but I'm much better with software than hardware. A
contractor will do the work. Money is an issue but I can spend $4000
or so which I think should do the job nicely.

All comments greatly appreciated.

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

$4k to have all of this work done (gutting a bathroom and replacing
everything) is a pretty tight budget for this project. I'd say your friends
are right about having a separate tub and shower for resale, but unless you
plan on selling in 5 years or less, I'd rebuild the bathroom for you, not
the hypothetical next guy.

Good luck,

KB

dgk

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:33:52 -0500, "
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks. I can spend more if I have to. I'd rather do it right and
have it nice. I can't remember the last time I took a bath.

Of course, if I sell to cat lovers, the litter box arrangement would
be a plus.
Joe Bobst

Money is an issue but I can spend $4000 or so which I think should do the
job nicely.

That might buy the materials, but no labor. I agree with another poster that
your budget is way low. Things like floor reinforcement may add a bunch, and
the list keeps growing, the more you get into it. Bathroom renovations run
second only to kitchen redos, which are typically in the $15K range.
Go ahead and do whatever you like and good luck finding a quality-minded
contractor to work with. When it's done let us know if $6-7K got you what you
liked. HTH

Joe

dgk

On 24 Feb 2004 15:38:35 GMT, osspam (Joe Bobst) wrote:

Money is an issue but I can spend $4000 or so which I think should do the
job nicely.

That might buy the materials, but no labor. I agree with another poster that
your budget is way low. Things like floor reinforcement may add a bunch, and
the list keeps growing, the more you get into it. Bathroom renovations run
second only to kitchen redos, which are typically in the $15K range.
Go ahead and do whatever you like and good luck finding a quality-minded
contractor to work with. When it's done let us know if $6-7K got you what you
liked. HTH

Joe

Yikes. How depressing when reality sets in. And I was thinking about
the kitchen. But the bathroom is over the kitchen so I figured I'd
best do the bathroom first.

I don't think there will be a need for floor reinforcement though. I'm
not getting a big jacuzzi; it will likely be the same size as the
current tub or just 4 inches wider. The two people will likely have to
stand. In fact, being made of cheap plastic (fiberglass?) instead of
porcelin should result in less weight I would think.

But I've done some floor and tile work. That's why I think I go pro on
this.

The kitchen does need some work but mostly cosmetic stuff. New
cabinets and countertops. Granite or something nice. Get rid of the
wallpaper, particularly on the ceiling. I worry about that wallpaper
on the ceiling. Why, I ask myself, is there wallpaper on the ceiling
in the first place? Do I want to know?

George Macomber

I should not cost much more than 4k. Look
the bathtub and flooring probally 1000
for materials. another 500 for sink and
other hard ware and probally 2 days work
for a skilled handyman.

hell dont let people over charge you
up the ass... .
since when do carpenters make 100 dollars
and hour

[...]

Gunner

Comments inserted

"George Macomber" wrote in message
I should not cost much more than 4k. Look
the bathtub and flooring probally 1000
for materials.

A jaccuzi and flooring for a grand? Give me the name of your supplier, and
please don't say HD.

another 500 for sink and
other hard ware

Sink & tub faucets should be no _less_ than $350 total, or you're buying
junk. So that leaves $100 for bowl & vanity and misc. plumbing. Get real!

and probally 2 days work
for a skilled handyman.

George, wake up! A total gut job and redo with additonal wiring and
alteration in 2 days? Not on this earth, and you can't put 10 guys in a
bathroom to do the job.

hell dont let people over charge you
up the ass... .
since when do carpenters make 100 dollars
and hour

Average carpenter rate in this area is $22.36 per hr. Plus you have workers
comp., tools, insurance, vehicles, social security tax towards carpenter and
whatever benefits. You come real close to $100 per hr to make any profit for
a company.

dgk

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 03:51:36 GMT, "B" wrote:

If this new bathroom helps get you into that special "situation" that you
mentioned, write back and we'll help you re-do the bedroom.
-B

I find the kitchen causes the more delicate types to flee. Perhaps
that should be done first.

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

montana

In article ,
"Gunner" wrote:

[...]

We've gotten into the "bathroom of Doom" scenario where, when the
bathroom was gutted we found many bad things having to do with the
ceiling/floor for the 3rd floor bathroom (no solid joists), no proper
venting, galvanized pipes that were at death's door, a cast iron drain
pipe at death's door, a leaking shower pan... All this stuff's fairly
typical in a house that's 76 years old.

Our home insurance is going to pay for a little bit of what happened
after a leak was discovered, but we're going to be paying about 8k for
the fixes. One of the reasons we're paying 8k instead of 15k is because
I spent many hours searching out the best prices for stuff, from the
shower plumbing pieces parts to the new faucet for the footed 3rd floor
tub. We're even getting a new window. It has taken me days of work, when
you add up all the hours.

The contractor was too busy to do the work last year, but that delay
really helped us in the long run, no matter how inconvenient it was.

When you open up walls (where we live) you have to bring everything up
to code, which also means old knob & tube wiring must be replaced.

Gunner's advice is right on the money.

And if I had to replace stuff in a bathroom above a kitchen & the
kitchen, I'd work from the top down. I'd hate to have a ceiling fall
into my new kitchen.