George Macomber

Default Bathroom Renovation questions

I should not cost much more than 4k. Look
the bathtub and flooring probally 1000
for materials. another 500 for sink and
other hard ware and probally 2 days work
for a skilled handyman.

hell dont let people over charge you
up the ass... .
since when do carpenters make 100 dollars
and hour

On 24 Feb 2004 15:38:35 GMT, osspam (Joe Bobst) wrote:

Money is an issue but I can spend $4000 or so which I think should do the
job nicely.

That might buy the materials, but no labor. I agree with another poster that
your budget is way low. Things like floor reinforcement may add a bunch, and
the list keeps growing, the more you get into it. Bathroom renovations run
second only to kitchen redos, which are typically in the $15K range.
Go ahead and do whatever you like and good luck finding a quality-minded
contractor to work with. When it's done let us know if $6-7K got you what you
liked. HTH

Joe

Yikes. How depressing when reality sets in. And I was thinking about
the kitchen. But the bathroom is over the kitchen so I figured I'd
best do the bathroom first.

I don't think there will be a need for floor reinforcement though. I'm
not getting a big jacuzzi; it will likely be the same size as the
current tub or just 4 inches wider. The two people will likely have to
stand. In fact, being made of cheap plastic (fiberglass?) instead of
porcelin should result in less weight I would think.

But I've done some floor and tile work. That's why I think I go pro on
this.

The kitchen does need some work but mostly cosmetic stuff. New
cabinets and countertops. Granite or something nice. Get rid of the
wallpaper, particularly on the ceiling. I worry about that wallpaper
on the ceiling. Why, I ask myself, is there wallpaper on the ceiling
in the first place? Do I want to know?