John R. Gordon

Default How do I get drywall dust off floor? (Sounds silly, I realize...)

I have a new dark vinyl floor in a bathroom. I had to unexpectedly make a
significant drywall repair, and tried my best to keep the sanding dust
contained with drop clothes, vacumn sander, etc.

As you might expect if you've worked with this, the dust was everywhere
anyway...

Now when I mop it up, it looks great for 5 minutes, then dries with a milky
light coating on it... I've tried Mr. Clean in water, but I can't seem to
get rid of it...

Any thoughts? Mineral spirits, perhaps? I'm just trying to find a way to
encapsulate and remove this dust that is still microscopic and
redistributing itself with each mopping...

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,

John
--
John Gordon
jrgordon (at) knology (dot) net

Doug Miller

In article , "John R. Gordon" wrote:
I have a new dark vinyl floor in a bathroom. I had to unexpectedly make a
significant drywall repair, and tried my best to keep the sanding dust
contained with drop clothes, vacumn sander, etc.

As you might expect if you've worked with this, the dust was everywhere
anyway...

Now when I mop it up, it looks great for 5 minutes, then dries with a milky
light coating on it... I've tried Mr. Clean in water, but I can't seem to
get rid of it...

Try wiping the floor with a paper towel soaked in vinegar.

b&k

Try trisodium phosphate (TSP) (mix with water as per directions on the
bottle). I used it for plaster dust. BTW it is the same stuff used to
prolong the shelf life of chicken in your supermarket.

"John R. Gordon" wrote in message
[...]

AJScott

In article ,
"John R. Gordon" wrote:

I have a new dark vinyl floor in a bathroom. I had to unexpectedly make a
significant drywall repair, and tried my best to keep the sanding dust
contained with drop clothes, vacumn sander, etc.

As you might expect if you've worked with this, the dust was everywhere
anyway...

Now when I mop it up, it looks great for 5 minutes, then dries with a milky
light coating on it... I've tried Mr. Clean in water, but I can't seem to
get rid of it...

Any thoughts? Mineral spirits, perhaps? I'm just trying to find a way to
encapsulate and remove this dust that is still microscopic and
redistributing itself with each mopping...

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Know anyone who cuts/saws a lot of wood in their garage? Ask them for a
big-ass Hefy garbage bag or two (depending on how big your room is) full
of sawdust. Pour it all out and spread it around with a push broom. Then
sweep it all up into a dustpan and Shop-Vac up whatever miniscule amount
is left over.

If you don't have a friend with a free supply of sawdust, go to your
nearest construction supply store and ask for a bag of sweeping compound.

Works like a charm on concrete dust, too.

AJS