Martik

Default Dishwasher motor rusty and noisy

Our 15 year old Kenmore DW motor is noisy, sounds like a bad bearing but
still runs. I checked it out and there is a slight water leak that is
dripping on the motor and it is quite rusty. I can't tell where the leak
is originating. Is there a seal between the motor and tub? Is this worth
fixing? I can get a used motor for $40.
Wayne Boatwright

Martik wrote in newsan.2004.01.10.04.28.38.926836
@telus.net:

Our 15 year old Kenmore DW motor is noisy, sounds like a bad bearing but
still runs. I checked it out and there is a slight water leak that is
dripping on the motor and it is quite rusty. I can't tell where the leak
is originating. Is there a seal between the motor and tub? Is this worth
fixing? I can get a used motor for $40.

It's time for a new dishwasher. At 15 years and with a leak and rusty
motor, more problems are probably ahead.

Wayne

Martik

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:01:21 -0500, Dan O. wrote:

Martik wrote in message ...

Our 15 year old Kenmore DW motor is noisy,
I checked it out and there is a slight water
leak that is dripping on the motor and it
is quite rusty... sounds like a bad bearing
but still runs.

If water is getting directly onto the motor shaft, the bearings are
likely worn and causing the noise in which case the motor needs to be
replaced to silence it.

I can't tell where the leak is originating.

If it is leaking right on to the motor shaft, chances are the pump
impeller seals are leaking.

Is there a seal between the motor and tub?

Usually but depends on the exact model number of the dishwasher you
have. In most cases that may allow water to drip into the motor
housing but not right on its shaft (depending on dishwasher design).

Is this worth fixing?

If the rest of the dishwasher is in decent shape (racks, tub and inner
door not rusting), it might still be worthwhile to repair.

I can get a used motor for $40.

You've already got a used motor!

If you're going to do such an extensive repair, replace the motor (and
pump impeller and seal kit) with new ones. Do the job once and do it
right!

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+dishwasher

=Ð~~~~~~

I can buy a new Maytag for $280 so I'm not going to bother fixing it at a
cost of $100 and no guarantees. (used motor,seal kit etc)
Thanks for the replies.