Brendan

Default Fixing drywall joints - bubbles came up when I primed

Hi,

I just had some work done in my kitchen which included some wall
repair. The contractors fixed the drywall and laid a couple of coats
of mud (the contractors are gone and are not returning). I put on
what I hoped was a final coat of mud and sanded. I didn't notice any
bubbles at this time. I then put on a water-based primer and I saw
some bubbles arise. I realize this is bad, so I sanded down as much
of the mud as I could (the paper started to shred). The tape appears
flat, but I can press in some of the paper in areas of the repaired
wall joints. From some posts I have read in this group, I guess the
water in the primer soaked into the tape and caused the bubbles. So
what do I need to do? I think if I continue sanding I will start to
rip the paper. Can I use an oil-based primer to lock down the paper
and tape? Then lay some more mud, sand and prime (oil-based this
time!)? Will this work? Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

Brendan
DanG

If you get a bubble, it means that the paper tape is not stuck to the
drywall face paper. No amount of sanding can fix it, you will just tear it
up. When you see the bubble(s) cut them open with a utility knife. Use
wetter rather than dryer taping mud. Force the mud into the cut, you need a
full wet coat under the tape. You may need to open some of the joint up to
win.

You will get the same bubbles when you apply the top coat of taping mud.
This is when to watch for them, find then, and fix them. Really miserable
to find them under coat 1 or 2 of paint.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Brendan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

EvoDawg

"Brendan" wrote in message
[...]

I'd go with Brendan. When the mud and tape was installed there was not
enough mud to bond the tape. The tape has tiny hole in it that when pressed
against the mud on the joint will ooze out joint compound insuring a good
bond then when you apply the second coat it gets knocked down and becomes
smooth. The best thing is to open the tape at the bubble with a sharp
utility knife and get mud behind the tape. Then once dried apply another
coat of joint compound over the fix and feather it in. This should fix your
problem.

Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Brendan

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not positive but I think there is a gap (approx 1/4 inch) between
the two pieces of drywall where the bubbles are forming. If this is
true, then there is no paper for the tape to stick to. Do I just fill
this gap with mud? Also I was concerned that once I cut the tape, the
tape would lose its strength and I would get cracks. Also, I had a
friend just tell me I should cut open the tape, fill the gaps with
mud, then retape the area. Is this overkill?

thanks again, and sorry for the newbie questions. Trying to learn the
right way instead of doing things twice!

Brendan

"Brendan" wrote in message
[...]

DanG

I really do not know how to advise you.

If it were brand new work, you would fill the joint with well
blended compound, place the paper tape over the joint, and wipe in
with your knife. As you wipe the tape in, the excess mud will
ooze out from under the tape; you continue wiping and squeezing
the joint until the tape lays flat and the edges of the taping mud
are feathered tight to the wall (you do not want to squeeze all
the compound out from under the tape, you are trying to bed the
tape in compound). Experience helps here, but now is the time to
study the edges of the tape to see that they are well stuck to the
drywall with a full wet coat of compound under the tape. Now is
the time to fix any portions that are not.

It sound like you may have a slightly starved joint between two
sheets. The bubble happens because there was not enough mud to
coat the underside of the tape. If it is a limited area, I would
try some spot repair. If it is generalized, you would probably be
ahead to just pull off anything that is loose and start over. A
few holes in the tape are no different than similar holes in the
face paper of the rock. Slit 'em and fill 'em.

Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

om...