RB

Default stain removal question

I have a stainless commercial reefer. Something has run down the outside of
it and left a deposit which looks like a stain.

I've hit it with Windex and oven cleaner, but those don't budge whatever it
is. What's my next step?

If nothing else will do it, I can go to medium grade steel wool and gently
try to rub it out.

---

AJScott

You could do that, but then your next question posted in this forum
would probably be how to remove a jillion scratches from your stainless
reefer.

Since you don't know the origin of that "something," it could be hard
for anyone to tell you how to remedy it completely. One step could be to
call the manufacturer's customer service line for advice -- they made
the thing, so they'd probably the your best source of info.

Otherwise, and I take absolutely no responsibility for this one should
you actually try it, you might ask if a HIGHLY watered down solution of
muriatic acid (available at swimming pool stores in the chemicals
section) would do the trick. Guys who restore old bottles use muriatic
acid/water solution to remove really stubborn decades-old water stains,
and it almost always does the trick. But even there, that's the effect
it has on glass, which your reefer ain't; it may end up slightly etching
the stainless or reacting chemically in ways you really wouldn't want to
see. Muriatic is basically sufuric acid, so you'd also have to wear
gloves and open all the windows for ventilation, and wear a mask so you
don't breathe in any of the fumes.

AJS

In article ,
"RB" wrote:

I have a stainless commercial reefer. Something has run down the outside of
it and left a deposit which looks like a stain.

I've hit it with Windex and oven cleaner, but those don't budge whatever it
is. What's my next step?

If nothing else will do it, I can go to medium grade steel wool and gently
try to rub it out.

---

Jim Thompson

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:24:42 GMT, AJScott
wrote:

[snip]
Muriatic is basically sufuric acid, so you'd also have to wear
gloves and open all the windows for ventilation, and wear a mask so you
don't breathe in any of the fumes.

AJS

[snip]

Neeeerp! Muriatic acid is "basically" hydrochloric acid, commonly
sold as acid for swimming pools. Still has nasty fumes.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |