Lance Uppercut

Default Joining Sewer Vents

Hi all.

In the attic of my new house I have two PVC sewer vent pipes that come
up from the floorboards. One of them is run completely through the
roof. The other terminates about two feet up from the floor into the
attic. Would it be feasible for me to put an elbow onto this pipe,
extend it over and join it with the pipe that goes through the roof.
I would like to avoid putting another hole in my roof for obvious
reasons. I'm not sure about the codes in my area, but I imagine that
this would not be a problem. I would appreciate opinions.

Thanks,

Scott
Speedy Jim

Lance Uppercut wrote:

Hi all.

In the attic of my new house I have two PVC sewer vent pipes that come
up from the floorboards. One of them is run completely through the
roof. The other terminates about two feet up from the floor into the
attic. Would it be feasible for me to put an elbow onto this pipe,
extend it over and join it with the pipe that goes through the roof.
I would like to avoid putting another hole in my roof for obvious
reasons. I'm not sure about the codes in my area, but I imagine that
this would not be a problem. I would appreciate opinions.

Thanks,

Scott

Looks like the builder "forgot" to finish the job.
(Might want to verify somehow that this pipe is actually
a sewer vent. Listen at the opening for running water
when flushing, etc.)

Yes, should be fine to connect them as long as the
existing one thru roof is full size (4").
Slope the horizontal part of the extension so that
it rises toward the vent you'll be connecting into.

Jim
TimS

I don't think so. I'm not a plumber, but I see houses with 5 and 7 vent
pipes in the roof. If the builder could save roofer costs by having the
plumber joining all the vents (lesspenetratyions to seal), I think they
would. Any plumbers out there...agree, disagree?

"Lance Uppercut" wrote in message
om...
Hi all.

In the attic of my new house I have two PVC sewer vent pipes that come
up from the floorboards. One of them is run completely through the
roof. The other terminates about two feet up from the floor into the
attic. Would it be feasible for me to put an elbow onto this pipe,
extend it over and join it with the pipe that goes through the roof.
I would like to avoid putting another hole in my roof for obvious
reasons. I'm not sure about the codes in my area, but I imagine that
this would not be a problem. I would appreciate opinions.

Thanks,

Scott

Goedjn

In the attic of my new house I have two PVC sewer vent pipes that come
up from the floorboards. One of them is run completely through the
roof. The other terminates about two feet up from the floor into the
attic. Would it be feasible for me to put an elbow onto this pipe,
extend it over and join it with the pipe that goes through the roof.
I would like to avoid putting another hole in my roof for obvious
reasons. I'm not sure about the codes in my area, but I imagine that
this would not be a problem. I would appreciate opinions.

If they're both really sewer-vent stacks, then last time I checked, you
could connect them. (subject to some rules involving flood-levels of
connected fixtures that aren't likely to affect you in an attic.)
Are you sure that's what they are, though?
It would really suck to find out after the fact that one of them's
actually venting your laundryroom, or a bathroom.

Lance Uppercut

Thanks for all of the replies.

The fine gentlemen that lived in the house before me was a plumber, just not
a very good one. I assume that he added the vent that terminates in the
attic for one reason or another when he remodeled the bathroom. I had a
pumber out months ago for another reason and showed him the pipe. He had me
flush the toilet and turn on the sinks in the bathroom directly below where
the pipe enters the floor of the attic while he listened at the open end of
the pipe. We determined that it is a vent for that bathroom. Am I wrong in
labeling this a sewer vent? The pipe that terminates is 2 inches thick
while the main stack is 4 inches. They are around 6 feet apart and I could
angle the connection upward. Do they make connections for 2 inches going
into 4 inches? I guess I'll have to go wander around Home Depot for an hour
or two : )

I also have another vent that I found for a bathroom in the basement. It
terminates right below the ceiling in the laundry room in my basement.
Again, there are no bad odors present. This one has a filter on the top of
it. I showed it to the same plumber that was in my attic and he told me
that the filter just stopped air from going back into the vent. He also
told me that he did not think that this was a problem. I disagreed. Why
would anyone want to vent inside their house? Granted I am no plumber, but
this just seemed stupid. Since most of the people that applied to my
original thread are plumbers, I would appreciate you comments on this
situation as well.

Thanks,

Scott

wrote in message
On 16 Dec 2003 10:12:03 -0800, (Lance
Uppercut) wrote:

Hi all.

In the attic of my new house I have two PVC sewer vent pipes that come
up from the floorboards. One of them is run completely through the
roof. The other terminates about two feet up from the floor into the
attic. Would it be feasible for me to put an elbow onto this pipe,
extend it over and join it with the pipe that goes through the roof.
I would like to avoid putting another hole in my roof for obvious
reasons. I'm not sure about the codes in my area, but I imagine that
this would not be a problem. I would appreciate opinions.

Thanks,

Scott

I'm a retired plumber. The answer is YES. Be sure that is a vent
though. I'd assume it would stink in your attic. But it could be an
air vent from a fan or dryer vent, or ?????

Be sure it is a sewer vent. If it is, use the SAME size pipe, and use
a slight upward pitch to the other stack. You dont need much pitch,
but you dont want it going downward.

Charles Spitzer

[...]

sewer or septic system? if sewer and there was a backup into your house,
think that pipe opening in your attic would hold much 'stuff', and where
would it go when it got to the top of the pipe?

Uppercut) wrote:

[...]

The vents sound like that they are to allow air to enter and exit so the
p traps will not loose any water in them as they will gurgle as water
flows. The tolit bowl will also have a vent just for this purpose.

For the 4" to 2" adapter there is such and will be found in the area of
the sewer line and tolet flanges etc. Just ask for one of the HD
employees to assist and they will put it together for you.

Joining the two pipe ends to the sewer line willnot hurt anything but
will not help either.

Think of the two pipes as an equlizer for the sewer as the estuation
tubes do for your ears to keep the pressure inside the same as the
outside.

C.